List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CANNON CINEMA

List entry Number: 1395647

Location

CANNON CINEMA, 22 AND 23, WESTGATE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1995

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Oct-2010

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 511060

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTGATE STREET 656-1/40/1844 (North side) Nos.22 AND 23 Cannon Cinema 17/07/95

GV II

Cinema. 1920. By AJ Taylor. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. EXTERIOR: Classically fronted picture house on a restricted inner City site. Three storeys, five-bays, windows all sashes with central square pane to narrow margin panes all round, in deep reveals and to raised plat surrounds, plus moulded sills at second floor over aprons with flat disc drops. Ground floor has five large square openings, but filled at each end, separated by channelled pilasters, all crowned by cornice, raised to broken semicircle at centre bay, where first floor window extended down to shaped stone balcony with bronze semi-cylindrical balustrade. First floor rises from deep podium band, inflected below channelled pilasters through two storeys to square cornice under solid blocking course, with dies, and with open panel, with diagonal bars, above windows. Heads of pilasters at ground and second floor carry stepped drops, and above centre bay raised attic with carved coat of arms of Bath City, flanked by drops, and with small scroll supporters. In Saw Close, adjacent to The Loft Club (qv), secondary entrance to cinema, single storey unit with splayed corner, having channelled pilasters under panel, and with balustrade similar to front. INTERIOR: Six-bay auditorium with rich neo-classical plaster decoration concealing internal structure of concrete and steel. Large console brackets disguise supports for steel roof trusses. Concrete framed balcony. HISTORY: Originally known as the "Beau Nash Picture House", This cinema, designed by the City Architect in a deliberately Deferential style, was admired as an example of good cinema design in 'The Builder', 14th December 1924, p.757. It belongs to the second generation of cinema buildings.

Listing NGR: ST7488964786

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 74889 64786

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 06:48:09.