List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAR MEMORIAL AT HOLY TRINITY CHURCH YARD

List entry Number: 1393740

Location

WAR MEMORIAL AT HOLY TRINITY CHURCH YARD, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Feb-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 499678

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A war memorial cross of c. 1920 by the notable Liverpool sculptor H.Tyson Smith, his first commission after returning from military service, and of outstanding quality. The memorial stands within Holy Trinity churchyard, the church being listed at Grade II*

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



SJ 3989 CHURCH ROAD 392/31/10162 (West,off) 07-FEB-01 War Memorial at Holy Trinity Church Yard

GV II*

War Memorial Cross. c.1920. By George Herbert Tyson Smith, sculptor. Ashlar limestone with statuary and relief carving. Tapering stone cross rising from a stepped plinth on a truncated pyramidal base. The cross is of rectangular section with stub cross arms. Flanking the cross shaft are 2 classically-draped female figures, each holding a laurel wreaths. The figures stand upon inset stepped plinths. At the base of the cross, to the front, a dedicatory panel inscribed "To the enduring memory of Wavertree men who laid down their lives in the Great War". A rear panel bears a relief sculpture;'the Pelican in her Piety'(the female pelican draws blood from her own body to feed her young) above the inscription "Pro Patria 1914- 1918" to which has been added below "1939 -1945." HISTORY: Tyson Smith, considered to be one of Liverpool's most notable sculptors, received the commission for this memorial on his return from military servive with the Royal Flying Corps. He later completed the bronze relief panels on the Liverpool Cenotaph at St George's Hall. The memorial stands within the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church, Wavertree (item 31/283)with which it forms a group.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 39209 89055

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:06:04.