List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRESBYTERY, BARTESTREE CONVENT

List entry Number: 1393694

Location

PRESBYTERY, BARTESTREE CONVENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County of HerefordshireUnitary AuthorityBartestree

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-2010

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 507507

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The Presbytery at Bartestree Convent, designed in 1863 by Edward Welby Pugin, is recommended for designation at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: as a good example of a domestic building built by the renowned C19 architect EW Pugin. * Design interest: for its coherent scheme of design and high quality craftsmanship. * Group value: as a notable part of the Grade II and Grade II* listed Bartestree Convent.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARTESTREE

765/0/10011 Presbytery, Bartestree Convent 04-MAR-10

II The Presbytery for the adjacent Bartestree Convent dating to 1863 with later extensions of the late C19 and circa 2002. Designed by Edward Welby Pugin.

MATERIALS: The Presbytery is constructed of red brick with limestone detailing. The building is roofed in red clay tiles.

PLAN: The Presbytery is an 'L'-shaped building which is aligned east-west. The Pugin designed building, dating to 1863 occupies the three-bays to the west with two, one-bay extensions to the east.

EXTERIOR: The Presbytery is located 40m east of Bartestree Convent. The building is two and two-and-a-half storeys with a projecting limestone string-course dividing the ground and first-floors. The principal fa├žade is to the N and contains a centrally located entrance situated within the easternmost bay of the 1863 building, and consists of a pointed arched doorway with quatrefoil lights above. On first-floor level, above the entrance, is triangular oriel. The garden front (S elevation) contains a projecting square bay to the west with two-lights window in the first-floor with a cinqfoil light above. The doorway within the garden front is located opposite the main entrance within the easternmost bay of the 1863 building. The doorway is recessed from the external elevation where a square headed arch is located supported by slender columns. Flanking the garden entrance are two small rectangular openings which contain the only original windows in the building as all other windows have been replaced by modern uPVC versions. The garden elevation contains bargeboards decorated with pierced quatrefoils.

INTERIOR: From the principal (N) elevation the entrance leads into central hallway containing a staircase to the first floor. The staircase has slender balustrades and trefoil decoration. To the W a corridor with applied timber ceiling accesses the three principal rooms. To the S, lit by windows in the garden front, the rooms retain their original pierced cornice and timber shutters for the windows. Of these rooms only the dining room, to the E, retains its original fireplace with foliate decoration. Within the first-floor the ceilings also retain their original applied timber framing which are chamfered and contain iron bolts decorated with a quatrefoil design.

HISTORY: The Convent of Our Lady of Charity and Refuge at Bartestree was established in 1863 and designed by Edward Welby Pugin (1834 - 1875). The site of the convent contains the chapel of the Old Longworth manor house which was built c. 1390. The medieval chapel fell out of use after the Reformation and the old manor house buildings became part of a farm. By the C17 the chapel was used for cider-making and the buildings remained in agricultural use until the mid-C19 when the then owner, Robert Biddulph Phillips, converted to Catholicism. The owner restored the chapel in 1851 and founded the Convent of Our Lady of Charity and Refuge at Bartestree in 1863 for his daughter. Phillips died in 1864 and was buried in his chapel at Longworth, but his will expressed a determination to move the chapel closer to the convent. This was achieved in 1869-70. The reconstructed church was not an exact copy of the original but a Victorian interpretation of a medieval building by EW Pugin. The convent was founded in 1863. The first buildings on the site were designed by EW Pugin with later additions of 1881, 1889 and 1895 designed by Chick. The Presbytery was contemporary with the first phase of development and was designed by Pugin. It is possible that given the ornate scheme of decoration internally and externally the building was originally intended as a residence for Robert Biddulph Phillips' daughter, although it is marked as a Presbytery on the first edition (1888) Ordnance Survey map. The convent was listed at Grade II and the church of St James at Grade II* in 1985. The convent and Presbytery closed in 1992 and became derelict. The whole complex was subject to a residential conversion from 2002 onwards.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The Presbytery at Bartestree Convent, designed in 1863 by Edward Welby Pugin, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: as a good example of a domestic building by the renowned architect EW Pugin. * Design interest: for its coherent scheme of design and high quality craftsmanship. * Group value: as a notable part of the Grade II and Grade II* listed Bartestree Convent.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 56909 40605

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 11:02:47.