List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1392613

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, SPRINGFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCopelandDistrict AuthorityEgremont

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jun-2008

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 502345

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

St John's Church, Bigrigg, is designated for the following principal reasons:

* A small, yet carefully detailed and intact rural church * Designed by C.J. Ferguson, a leading local High Victorian architect who trained under Sir George Gilbert Scott * Good quality stained glass windows by Kempe * Historic interest arising from the role of the Jefferson family, who donated the land and had strong connections with Whitehaven and the transatlantic rum trade.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EGREMONT

131/0/10010 SPRINGFIELD ROAD 11-JUN-08 St John's Church

II Church, 1878-80, by C.J. Ferguson for Henry Jefferson. Extension of 1993 by Richard Lindsey.

MATERIALS: local red sandstone beneath green slate pitched roofs

EXTERIOR: the church is in a Decorated Gothic style and is composed of a nave, chancel and belfry, with the 1993 extension at the south-west end. The chancel and nave have a mix of one, two and three-light stone mullioned pointed arch and rectangular windows with tracery. The windows on the north and east elevations are beneath hoodmoulds. Other windows are of simple rectangular shape with one or three lights. The main entrance is via a porch on the east elevation. On the south elevation the belfry containing a single bell sits on the apex of the gable supported by a full length pilaster buttress.

INTERIOR: the walls are plastered with the window and chancel arch stonework left exposed. The chancel has a stained glass north window of 1896 by Kempe dedicated to Henry Jefferson and a wagon roof. Fittings include timber altar table, altar rail, wall panelling, reredos and pulpit. The nave has open-backed pews on boarded platforms, a boarded roof with the attractive timber structure exposed, and a second stained glass window of 1886 by Kempe at the south end. All other windows are leaded panes of clear glass. There is a stone font at the nave's south end. On the west side of the spacious chancel and sanctuary there is a raised organ loft containing an organ installed in 2004, with a vestry opening off an entrance on the east side of the chancel.

HISTORY: St John's Church was constructed on land donated by a Henry Jefferson. Jefferson lived nearby at Springfield and also owned plantations in Jamaica and Virginia, producing rum for export to England via the nearby port of Whitehaven. The church was built on the west side of the main road between Egremont and Whitehaven, now the A595, about 700m north of the village of Bigrigg. There have been few alterations to the building since its consecration, aside from the addition of a disabled toilet, storage space and kitchen designed by Richard Lindsay to the west side of the nave, at the south end, dedicated on 6 November 1993.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: St John's Church, Bigrigg, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * A small, yet carefully detailed and intact rural church * Designed by C.J. Ferguson, a leading local High Victorian architect who trained under Sir George Gilbert Scott * Good quality stained glass windows by Kempe * Historic interest arising from the role of the Jefferson family, who donated the land and had strong connections with Whitehaven and the transatlantic rum trade.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NX 99786 13813

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 12:59:45.