List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAR MEMORIAL AT ST MARGARET'S CHURCH

List entry Number: 1392249

Location

WAR MEMORIAL AT ST MARGARET'S CHURCH, ST MARGARET'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireOxfordDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Sep-2007

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 503626

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



612/0/10188 ST MARGARET'S ROAD 19-SEP-07 War Memorial at St Margaret's Church

GV II War memorial dedicated in 1920; designer unknown.

The memorial stands on the edge of the churchyard of St Margaret's church (listed Grade II) on the corner of St Margaret's Road, effectively open to the street and very much deliberately visible therefrom. It comprises a Calvary (with beneath the Christ figure on the stone plinth a bronze plaque with the raised inscription JESU MERCY) under a half-dome, with a low semi-circular limestone wall to the rear on which are copper plates bearing the texts (1) THEY LOVED NOT/THEIR LIVES UNTO DEATH (Revelations 12.11) (2) FOR KING & COUNTRY 1914-1918 followed by the names, in alphabetical order and without further details, of 47 men. When visited (June 2007) there was some strapping on one of the principal uprights which was rotten.

HISTORY: The memorial was dedicated on 24 July 1920. The cast-iron figure of Christ was cast by Lucy's Engineering Works nearby in Jericho, one of 200 such castings all presumably intended for similar memorials.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:

* Honouring the war dead of the parish, the memorial has strong historic and cultural significance. * Standing on the edge of the churchyard on the street corner it is an ever-present reminder of the servicemen's sacrifice * It incorporates a Christ figure cast by Lucy's Engineering Works in nearby Jericho

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 50557 07794

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 08:50:35.