List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OFFICE BUILDING AT THE FORMER IMPERIAL GAS WORKS

List entry Number: 1392025

Location

OFFICE BUILDING AT THE FORMER IMPERIAL GAS WORKS, SANDS END LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHammersmith and FulhamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jun-2007

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 500688

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



333/0/10072 SANDS END LANE 07-JUN-07 Fulham Office building at the former Imperial Gas Works

GV II Office Building at the Fulham Gas Works

Office building. C.1850, ascribed to Francis Edwards (d.1857), for the Imperial Gas Light & Coke Company. Stucco fronted brick. EXTERIOR: Main elevation of five bays with lower two-storey continuation to south. Two floors. Door set within a moulded architrave with overlight. Windows also within moulded surrounds: those to ground floor mainly 2/2 pane sashes, those to first floor mainly 2 pane upper sashes over 12 pane lower sashes. Entablatures at first floor and cornice level. Sunken panels beneath first floor windows (two, positioned on either side, of central one). Parapet with central pediment. Four bay elevations to north and south returns. INTERIOR: retains open well stone staircase (with concrete render over steps) with cast iron rails; tile-lined entrance and sides to stair; some plasterwork and joinery to tall ground floor rooms, including moulded window surrounds. HISTORY: built as the offices to the Fulham Gas Works, and forming part of a site with a strong association with the gas industry, going back to 1824.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26021 76818

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 01:56:54.