List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER LABORATORY AT THE IMPERIAL GAS WORKS

List entry Number: 1392024

Location

FORMER LABORATORY AT THE IMPERIAL GAS WORKS, SANDS END LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHammersmith and FulhamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Jun-2007

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 500689

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



333/0/10073 SANDS END LANE 07-JUN-07 Former laboratory at the Imperial Gas Works

GV II Former Gas Light and Coke Company Laboratories

Former research laboratory building. 1927 By Sir Walter Tapper RA, FRIBA (1861-1935). Red brick, reconstituted stone and Portland Stone. EXTERIOR: ten bay east-facing elevation, three bay north-facing entrance elevation with imperial staircase. Outwardly of two storeys over basement, but internally of three storeys. Metal framed windows in form of sash windows. Entrance elevation with double staircase leading to entrance at raised ground floor level; doorcase set within moulded architrave with open segmental pediment carried on consoles above, with date stone. Gauged brick window arches, plat band at first floor level, moulded cornice, parapet. Rusticated quoins to angles. Long side elevation with rusticated basement with rectangular windows beneath voussoirs. Projecting end bays, similar elevational treatment as north facade. Arched surround with imposts and keystone to door in southernmost bay. INTERIOR: open-well staircase at north end with bronze handrail, Roman-style ironwork, triple arched openings to each landing; interior otherwise largely plain and functional. HISTORY: built by the company as a research laboratory and apprentices' school by the firm's consultant architect in a dignified Neo-classical style. The commercial domestic use of gas was vigorously promoted by the Company during the interwar period, and this laboratory formed part of the firm's investment in research and development. As well as being a handsomely designed industrial building by a noted architect, it forms part of a site with a strong association with gas going back to 1824, and has group value with other structures on the site. SOURCES: S. Everard, 'The History of the Gas Light & Coke Co. 1812-1949 (1949), 322-24; M. Falkus, 'Always Under Pressure' (1988), 8-9.

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Falkus, M - Title: Always under Pressure A History of North Thames Gas - Date: 1988 - Page References: 8-9
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Everard, St - Title: The History of the Gas Light and Coke Company 1812 to 1949 - Date: 1949 - Page References: 322-24

National Grid Reference: TQ 26004 76796

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 09:30:30.