List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MONUMENT OF SIR JOHN CALL BART, LEE OLD CHURCHYARD

List entry Number: 1391996

Location

MONUMENT OF SIR JOHN CALL BART, LEE OLD CHURCHYARD, LEE TERRACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLewishamLondon BoroughNon Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-2007

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 503655

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



779/15/10030 LEE TERRACE 01-JUN-07 LEE Monument of Sir John Call Bt, Lee Old Churchyard

GV II* Box tomb and obelisk, erected c.1801 to Sir John Call Bt, MP (1732-1801). Monument of Coade stone, consisting of a deep panelled plinth, with smaller plinth above decorated with panels with swags and console brackets, and surmounted by an obelisk with armorial bearings with the motto "ERATA MANU", and a small draped sarcophagus. This is one of the grandest outdoor memorials ever produced by the Coade factory. Despite ivy growth, the monument is in good condition.

HISTORY: Lee old churchyard contains many notable monuments which reflect the area's Georgian past as a place of retirement for City merchants and those involved with Greenwich and the Deptford shipyards. In the centre of the churchyard stand the remains of the tower belonging to the former medieval Church of St Margaret (listed Grade II). The current Church of St Margaret stands to the south side of Lee Terrace (1839-41, listed Grade II*). The churchyard of the current church contains later tombs, being used principally between the 1840s and 1870s. A decline in usage came with the opening of Hither Green Cemetery, Lee in 1873. This tomb was erected to Sir John Call Bt. MP (1732-1801), a servant of the East India Company and military engineer, who retired to England after making his fortune in India. Call was also a Fellow of the Royal Society and Society of Antiquaries.

SOURCES E and J Birchenough, Monumental Inscriptions in the Old Churchyard, St Margaret's, Lee (1967 typescript in Manor House Library) C P Gwilt (1830), F Bamping (2001) et al, Lee - Kent Archaeological Society website.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The monument of Sir John Call Bt. MP, Lee old churchyard, Lewisham, meets the criteria for listing as a tomb of fine architectural quality, and as one of the grandest outdoor memorials ever produced by the Coade factory. The connection between the proximity of the docks and Call's employment with the East India Company is also of interest. Coade stone was also used at some of Call's estate buildings at Callington, his Cornish seat; this fondness for the material adds interest.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ3904775736

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 06:41:52.