List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARADISE BELVEDERE

List entry Number: 1391883

Location

PARADISE BELVEDERE, PARADISE DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Feb-2007

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 496218

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



623/0/10073 PARADISE DRIVE 22-FEB-07 Paradise Belvedere

II Gazebo. C18, probably second quarter. Faced in knapped flint with red brick and stone dressings. Symmetrical 3-bay structure designed in the Palladian manner with pedimented central bay and round-arched seating alcove. Lower, recessed flanking wings have blind arches and upswept parapets with scotia profiles. Impost bands to arches. Built to command a prospect over the parkland to Compton Place (qv).

HISTORY: The construction date and designer of the Paradise Belvedere are unknown, but it may have been built by Spencer Compton, younger son of the Earl of Northampton, ennobled in 1728 as Lord Wilmington. Compton bought the estate in 1724, changing its name from Bourne Place to Compton Place. He remodelled the existing Elizabethan house c1726 to the design of the Palladian architect Colen Campbell, whom he commissioned through his acquaintance with Lord Burlington, the leading exponent of the C18 Palladian revival. The grounds were worked on by Bridgeman between 1728-38. A folly is recorded as being built c1740, but it is unclear whether this was the same structure. However, the building's austere Palladianism is consistent with the date range of Wilmington's occupation.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special architectural interest as an elegant, well-proportioned C18 garden building in the Palladian taste, and historic interest for its association with Compton Place, whose grounds are included in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. While the parkland in which the Belvedere stands, now a golf course, is outside the registered area, the building's aesthetic function within the broader historic landscape as both a viewpoint and eyecatcher remains legible. It thus has important group value with the Grade I listed house and registered garden.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TV 59481 98279

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 09:14:29.