List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAPTIST CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1391762

Location

BAPTIST CHAPEL, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyReigate and BansteadDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Sep-2006

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 495317

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



187/0/10024 STATION ROAD 19-SEP-06 Redhill Baptist Chapel

II Chapel including Sunday School and vestry. Dated 1858 on a tablet on the front gable. Classical style. Built in yellow brick in flemish bond with polychrome red brick dressings and slate roof.

PLAN: Rectangular with Sunday School and vestry behind the chapel.

EXTERIOR: The front elevation is gabled with overhanging eaves with modillion eaves cornice. In the centre of the gable is a tablet inscribed "BAPTIST CHAPEL ERECTED 1858". There is a red brick band at gable level, brick quoins and window dressings and a stuccoed plinth. There are three metal casement windows, a central two-light fixed round-headed window with brick Gibbs surround flanked by lower larger round-headed windows, also with brick Gibbs surrounds and central panes opening internally. There is a central projecting gabled porch with slate roof and double doors, each with two panels with beaded moulding. Attached to the left hand side is a section of original cast iron spear railings but the front section has been replaced by a three feet high later C19 brown brick wall with four panels and stone coping. The left side elevation has two round-headed windows and the right side two round-heded windows, a sash window with glazing bars and a door with four flush panels. The rear elevation has a late C20 yellow brick lean-to extension but the original rear wall survives with 12-pane sash window.

INTERIOR: The chapel is of three bays with a boarded kingpost roof with two circular cast iron ventilation apertures. Behind the porch is a wooden three tier panelled screen and plank dado panelling survives to all four walls. There is fixed bench seating to the centre and sides and a wooden square pulpit with sunk panels divided into three by ribs and steps with moulded balusters, chamfered newel posts and door. The rear wall has two four-panelled doors, the left door leading to the former Sunday School and the righ door to the vestry. All the internal joinery is painted and wood grained. Above each door is a stone pedimented memorial tablet, above the left to George Balcliff, Deacon, died 1917 and above the right door to Edwin Pickwell, Pastor, died 1918. The immersion tank for baptism remains beneath the floor. To the rear of the chapel is the Sunday School to the left and Vestry to the right divided by an original wooden five panel screen with three folding doors. The Vestry has a wooden fireplace with pilasters and round-headed cast iron firegrate.

HISTORY: A contemporary illustration shows that when this chapel was built it was surrounded by a field or green with cottages nearby but it is now closely surrounded by later buildings in the centre of the town.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A little altered simple Classical rectangular brick Strict Baptist chapel with the rare survival of a complete chapel interior of 1858, including panelled screen, fixed benches and pulpit.

SOURCES: Pevsner/Nairn "Buildings of England. Surrey". 1971.p422. Christopher Stell "An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England" 2002. p. 326.

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Stell, C - Title: An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England - Date: 1991 - Page References: 326
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971 - Page References: 422

National Grid Reference: TQ 27904 50641

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 11:20:59.