List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST RICHARD

List entry Number: 1391695

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST RICHARD, TOP ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West SussexArunDistrict AuthoritySlindon

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Apr-2005

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Apr-2006

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 491212

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SLINDON

231/0/10077 TOP ROAD 20-APR-05 Roman Catholic Church of St Richard

II Roman Catholic Church. 1865, designed by C A Buckler, endowed by the Countess of Newburgh. Gothic style. Built of stone rubble with ashlar dressing and slate roof. Four bay nave, lower two bay chancel, south aisle and north porch. Traceried windows with leaded lights divided by buttresses. EXTERIOR: Liturgical west front has cross-shaped saddlestone, large arched west window with five trefoil-headed lancets surmounted by three circular openings and smaller south aisle window with two trefoil-headed lights and trefoil above. Arched west door with recessed colonnettes. Liturgical south side has paired lancets with trefoil heads and quatrefoils above. Liturgical north side has windows with three trefoil-headed lancets and two circular lights. Gabled porch has trefoil-headed arch with sexfoil stone plaque above with the shield and mitre of St Richard of Chichester. Liturgical east front has arched window with three trefoil-headed lancets and above a central circular window flanked by trefoils. INTERIOR: Nave roof has purlins and arched braces, supported on stone corbels. Original Buckler fittings survive including the carved stone altar with marble colonnettes to the chancel, carved stone altar with marble colonnettes to the Lady Chapel incorporating a statue of the Virgin and Child under a trefoil-headed canopy, an octagonal stone font with marble shafts to the columns, a stone pulpit with trefoil-headed cutouts and original pews. The west window has stained glass by Hardman, dated 1865, depicting the Virgin and Child to the centre and St Richard and St Anthony of Padua to the sides. A particularly fine marble Neo-Classical wall monument signed by Bertel Thorwaldsen and commemorating Anthony Earl of Newburgh (d. 1814) depicts a kneeling woman and grieving angel either side of a central column. This is one of only three monuments by Thorwaldsen in England.

["Buildings of England: Sussex" p327. Rupert Gunnis "Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851" 394.]

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I - Title: The Buildings of England: Sussex - Date: 1965

National Grid Reference: SU 96085 08492

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 07:30:58.