List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAR MEMORIAL OF THE 24TH EAST SURREY DIVISION, BATTERSEA PARK

List entry Number: 1391503

Location

WAR MEMORIAL OF THE 24TH EAST SURREY DIVISION, BATTERSEA PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityWandsworthLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Aug-2005

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 493245

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1207/0/10145 BATTERSEA PARK 24-AUG-05 War memorial of the 24th East Surrey D ivision, Battersea Park

II*

WWI memorial. Designed and sculpted by Eric Henri Kennington RA (1888-1960). Portland stone. Consists of the figures of three infantry soldiers with helmets rifles and full kit, with a serpent at their feet, standing upon a three part columnar base. The figure to the left was modelled on the poet and writer Robert Graves. The base of the memorial has the inscription, XXIV Division France 1914-1918 around the top, with the twenty unit badges beneath. Situated in the registered grade II* Battersea Park.

History: The memorial commemorates over 10,000 men who had been killed or listed as `missing presumed dead' whilst serving with the 24th Infantry Division. The memorial was unveiled on 4 October 1924 in an opening ceremony performed by Field Marshall Plumer and the Bishop of Southwark.

Summary of Importance: The 24th East Surrey Division war memorial in Battersea Park is not only of historic interest due to its link with world events, but it is also of visual interest, due to the elegant sculptural quality of the depiction of ordinary infantry men by the highly regarded war artist Eric Kennington. This is an unusually avant-garde war memorial with a very interesting depiction of Robert Graves, author of the outstanding war memoir 'Goodbye to All That'.

Sources:

Jonathan Black, `The Legions who have suffered: the war memorials of Eric Kennington c 1921-1954', in Sculpture Journal XI (2004)

Jonathan Black, `Thanks for the Memory': War memorial, spectatorship and the trajectories of commemoration 1919-2001, in Matters of Conflict: Material culture, memory and the First World War, ed. Nicholas J. Saunders (2004)

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Saunders, N J - Title: Matters of Conflict: Material Culture, Memory and the First World War - Date: 2004
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Sculpture Journal: Volume XI - Date: 2004 - Journal Title: Sculpture Journal

National Grid Reference: TQ 28296 77344

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 04:39:09.