List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

List entry Number: 1391180

Location

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, SPRING STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuryMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Oct-2004

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 493405

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



326/0/10065 SPRING STREET 23-OCT-04 Holy Trinity Church

II Anglican church. 1863, extended c.1920. Designed by E.G.Paley, architect;contractor Ellis and Hinchcliffe. Coursed rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings, coped gables with circular cross finials and Welsh slate roof coverings. Early English style.

PLAN: Rectangular double-pile plan with central arcade, and comprising north aisle porch, north aisle nave, chancel with lady chapel to north side and added vestry to its north.

EXTERIOR: Single storeyed north porch with steeply-pitched gable and cross finial above pointed entrance archway below hoodmould. 3 bays to left and single bay to right with 2 and 3 light windows, the cusped lights with quatrefoil or sexfoil heads. The bays are delineated by shallow stepped buttresses. Corbel table above. West end with twin gables to nave and north aisle with tall windows each of 4 cusped lancet lights each with 2 quatrefoils and a large septfoil to the window head. Small cusped lancets to each gable apex. Clasping buttresses to corners and a stepped buttess at the junction of the 2 gables. Low, gabled porch to chancel end. South side wall with 5 buttresses to nave and plate traceried windows to 2-bay chancel. Tall 3-light window to chancel west gable with cusped heads to lancets and 3 quatrefoils to arch head. Vestry rooms addition extends eastwards from north aisle.

INTERIOR: Plain painted interior walls throughout, the earlier ornamentation and wall paintings now covered. Central arcade with foliated heads to columns. Arcade arches and wide chancel arch with dogtooth moulding at arch head. Chancel arch screen with paired cusped lancets to side bays. Simple altar rails to chancel and Lady Chapel. Arcaded front to Lady Chapel with 3 steeply-pointed arches.

HISTORY: The church was completed in 1863 at a cost of £4000. Paley's original design had included a south aisle and a north tower with spire above the porch. This commission dates to the period of Paley's career when he was working alone, following the retirement of his aprtner Sharpe.

Holy Trinity Church is of special architectural interest as a little-altered design by the notable architect E.G.Paley, working alone after the retirement of his partner Edmund Sharpe. Although the original design was never completed, the church remains a very assured and carefully detailed composition in the Early English style by an architect of national repute.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 80978 10296

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:05:24.