List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER STABLES AND MOTOR HOUSE AT TREVIN TOWERS

List entry Number: 1391157

Location

FORMER STABLES AND MOTOR HOUSE AT TREVIN TOWERS, GAUDICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-2004

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 492440

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



623/0/10068 GAUDICK ROAD 29-SEP-04 Former Stables and Motor House at Trev in Towers

GV II Originally stables and motor house, later living accomodation. Former stables of c1894 in Vernacular Revival style. Former motor house built before 1921. Together they form an L-shaped range to the north of Trevin Towers. The former stables are aligned north to south with the motor house attached to the south east. STABLES: The former stables have a red brick ground floor, tile-hung first floor and tiled roof with tall brick chimneystack. Two storeys: six windows. The coach house was probably in the northern bay and the upper floor had accomodation for grooms, hayloft to the south and stabling to the ground floor south. Projecting gable to the north with five-light casement window to the first floor and central doorcase flanked by two small round-headed casements. There are five further casement windows, the southernmost window adapted from a hoist, probably to the hayloft, which retains the original wooden opening and flat hood on brackets. The ground floor windows have cambered heads and transoms and the southern window was probably a door originally. MOTOR HOUSE: One storey red brick in stretcher bond with hipped tiled roof with one tall brick chimneystack. Facing south west are two gables, one hipped with metal finial, one half-hipped with timberframing to gablet, supported on sandstone brackets above two double wooden doors. The windows are top opening pivoting casements. The interior retains original matchboard panelling to the walls and a pit for automobile maintenance. HISTORY: The former stables are in the same style as Trevin Towers which was built in 1894. The former motor house was built before 1921 when the original owner of Trevin Towers, James John Hissey, died. In 1925 the estate was sold and these buildings were converted into living accomodation either by a nursing home or Brighton University.

Included as a late C19 former stables and early C20 motor house which group with the main house, Trevin Towers.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TV 60022 98291

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 01:26:45.