List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

List entry Number: 1391096

Location

CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BoltonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-May-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 492870

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1664/0/10023 CHURCH STREET 09-MAY-03 Church of St Matthew

II

Also Known As: Church of St Matthew, MARKET STREET Church. 1865. By EG Paley. Coursed rubblestone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with stone-coped gables with finials. Early Decorated style with buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. Chancel, north vestry, south east tower, nave and transepts, west porch. East end has 3-light window with plate tracery. Chancel has small 3-light window to south and 2 lancets to north over vestry. South-east tower of 4 stages with parapet and pinnacles. Stair turret in south-east corner and small lancets. 2-light louvred bell-openings with shafts. Transept ends have paired lancets with cinquefoils over and single-light round-arched windows to sides. Nave has 2-light windows with plate tracery. West end has massive buttresses, gabled west porch and rose window over formed of sexfoil with circle of trefoils around. INTERIOR. Fittings include in chancel a stone reredos with stone creed and commandment panels to the side, double sedilia, scissor brace roof. Elaborately carved choir stalls, organ front and screen. Minton tile floor. Wide nave and transepts have carved stone pulpit, openwork pews, and west gallery with arcaded front and original pews. Carved stone font on colonnettes. West end is now screened off under gallery with glazed screen but stairs to gallery survive. Nave and transept roofs of arched braces to collars rising from stone corbels. Richly coloured and finely detailed stained glass to east end, transept ends and nave rose window. A well-designed church with fine quality fittings and glass.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 75362 07403

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 05:46:34.