List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS WITH ATTACHED SHEDS AT MERE HALL

List entry Number: 1390973

Location

KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS WITH ATTACHED SHEDS AT MERE HALL, MERE CORNER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityMere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Aug-2004

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 491998

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MERE

204/0/10001 MERE CORNER 13-AUG-04 Mere Kitchen garden walls with attached she ds at Mere Hall

GV II Kitchen garden walls with attached sheds. c.1800. Red brick in Flemish stretcher-bond with stone flag copings. Walls are approx 4m high and run in a continuous trapezoid, the south wall (125 m) being longer than the north (95m). The north wall is hollow, and rises slightly higher in its central portion. Recessed panels locate access points for flue cleaning. Standing against the outer side of the wall are brick sheds; to the centre is a one-and-a-half storey range probably contemporary with the main walls, with other sheds (including boiler rooms and privy), some of later date, to either side. Those sheds to the west are intact, while those to the east are roofless. The roofs are of replacement asbestos sheeting with the exception of slate roofs at the west end. Two original single doorways give access to the garden interior along the north wall, together with a later, broken through, broader entrance. Single doors also give access through the east, west, and south walls. A short C19 wall runs west for approx 10 m from the north-west corner of the garden, probably to define a slip garden down the west side of the main garden compartment. HISTORY: The kitchen garden is approx. 120 m south-west of Mere Hall; a quadrangular stable courtyard stands approx. 10 m from the north-east corner of the garden and linked to it by a wall. All three structures probably date from approx. 1798-1805 when the Brooke family was improving the house and park using Samuel and/or Lewis Wyatt as architect. That house was soon after burnt down, its remains being repaired and modified in the mid 1830s by the Lichfield architect Thomas Johnson. 300m to the north-east of the garden is the C19 Home Farm, while 50 m north of the north-east corner of the garden is a C19 hay barn, converted c.2000 into a house. The garden has lost all its glasshouses, including those which stood against the north wall. SOURCES: Chris Blandford Associates. Mere Estate, Warrington Road, Mere. 1999 Correspondence from The Georgian Group citing J.M. Robinson on DCMS Listing file SL 680/04

An intact range of brick enclosure walls dating from c.1800 from a former kitchen garden with attached range of sheds that has excellent group value with the Grade II Mere Old Hall and its estate buildings and park.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ7231081481

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 11:30:01.