List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH EALING STATION, INCLUDING FOOTBRIDGE

List entry Number: 1390751

Location

NORTH EALING STATION, INCLUDING FOOTBRIDGE, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityEalingLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Oct-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 491323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

962/0/10075 STATION ROAD 30-OCT-03 North Ealing Station, including Footbidge

II

Underground Station. 1899 by the District Railway, but opened only on 23 June 1903 after electric traction had been installed. Roughcast brick, with red brick and stone dressings on red-brick plinth, slate roof with red brick stacks. The main building is on the west side of the tracks, rectangular and of two storeys, with booking hall. A bridge leads to the eastbound platform, which is served by a timber shelter.

Main building is a symmetrical composition to entrance frontage (car park), with small projecting canopy on cast-iron brackets and with dentilled cornice. Gable above on timber brackets with Venetian window in centre, flanked by smaller openings, one now partly blocked. The upper floor has sash windows with small panes in the upper sashes, set into gables and dormers. Small panes throughout to the sashes on the lower floor. Double doors with small lights to upper section leads to central booking hall, with ticket office to left and office to right, retaining clock. Steps down to platform level pass under sign (TO TRAINS FOR HARROW AND UXBRIDGE) in heavy type with finger pointer, an early example of the standardised signage which Edward Johnson began to introduce after 1915. Canopy to rear elevation, then a separate platform canopy at bottom of steps, supported on timber posts and steel brackets, and with timber cheeks and bargeboards. Wrought-iron lattice girder footbridge with added roof. Smaller timber shelter on 'up' platform with proportionately large canopy and bargeboards.

North Ealing is the only station to survive from the era of the District Railway's westward expansion in 1899-1903, and is an extremely unaltered and unusually richly detailed example of a station from this era.

Source Laurence Menear, London's Underground Stations, London, Midas Books, 1983.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Menear, L, Londons Underground Stations, (1985)

National Grid Reference: TQ 18812 81235

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 04:43:30.