List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SILVER STREET CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1390684

Location

SILVER STREET CHAPEL, SILVER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Sep-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 491164

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



335/0/10061 SILVER STREET 30-SEP-03 Silver Street Chapel

II

Non-conformist chapel. Dated 1893, with additions of 1902, and later C20 alterations and additions. By Edgar Wood, architect, of Middleton, for the Wesleyan Methodists, with additions of 1902 by T.Butterworth, architect of Dearnley. Red brick, laid to English bond, with ashlar sandstone dressings, quoins and decorative banding. Restrained Arts and Crafts style.

PLAN: Original T-shaped plan modified by additions to north and south elevations.

EXTERIOR: Front (east) elevation with wide gable rising from a sandstone plinth, with ashlar sandstone banding within the brick walling. Central entrance with ashlar quoining and semi-circular arch headed opening with drip mould. Datestone to the left of the double doorway . Ashlar plaque above arch head extends to dentilled cill band to stepped full- width window to gable apex, made up of 7 linked lancets. The gable apex is rendered, with sculptural decoration in the form of a tree rising from the arched head of the central lancet. Set in from the corners of the gable are wide sloping coursed stone buttresses which terminate above the cill band. Deep overhang to roof verges, supported on projecting ends of purlins and wall plates. Side (south) elevation with single- storeyed 4-bay addition extending almost the full length of the chapel. Projecting gable to east end with stepped 3-light stepped lancet window and sloping angle buttresses. 2-storeyed gabled crosswing to west end with 3-light stepped lancet window to upper floor above ground floor doorway. Between the gabled ranges, a 3-bay link with intermediate buttresses, each bay with 3, 3 over 3 pane windows. Lancets to west gable now blocked.

HISTORY: The Silver Street chapel is amongst Wood's earliest ecclesiastical commissions. The first, the Unitarian Chapel in Middleton was demolished in 1965. The building was built as a Wesleyan Chapel.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 88828 13911

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 03:59:39.