List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EAST FINCHLEY LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1390575

Location

EAST FINCHLEY LIBRARY, 226, HIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBarnetLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Aug-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 490523

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



31/0/10441 HIGH ROAD 18-AUG-03 East Finchley 226 East Finchley Library

II Public Library. 1938, with minor later-C20 alterations. Percival T. Harrison, Borough architect and engineer, assisted by C.M. Bond for Borough of Finchley. Red and brown brick in Flemish bond with Portland Stone plinth, parapets and dressings. Hipped sand-faced tile roofs. Wrought iron balconies and steel frame windows by Rowe Bros. Neo-Georgian style 2-storey building with lower range behind. PLAN: Main range to High Road has reading rooms flanking hall that leads to central circular inner hall, off which radiates the quadrant plan lending library with lower staff rooms and offices. EXTERIOR: High Road elevation symmetrical and of 3 windows bays, those to side and first floor are full height with concrete balconies that have scrolled metal balustrades. Windows are small-pane with hoppers and margin lights that have bronze interlinked curved and vertical mullions. Central bay framed in rusticated stone with tall advanced stepped and moulded architrave and recessed wood door with scrolled overlight all under prominent stone arms of the former Borough of Finchley with motto REGNANT QUI SERVIUNT, blending into flat stone frieze with BOROUGH OF BARNET (formerly Finchley) PUBLIC LIBRARY. Stone frieze and parapet continues to sides where LEFT return has full height curved bay with similar balcony to first floor window, and RIGHT has additional bay with window under hipped roof. To rear, curved wall of lending library has horizontal clerestory windows with soldier course lintels. Lower first floor range with similar brick detailing, and chimney. INTERIOR: Many of the original fittings survive, with joinery of Indian Silver Greywood. Stair has elaborately scrolled metal balusters to match those at balconies, brass handrail and brass finials in a handle shape to the newels. Curved glass and timber screen between inner hall and lending library. Original wood counters and bookshelves, those to lower shelves tilted upwards, in lending and children's rooms. Saucer dome ceiling with 3 circular roof lights in lending library. Lecture Hall on first floor with stage. HISTORY: The Borough of Finchley (later absorbed into Barnet) adopted the Public Libraries Act in May 1930 and this was its third library. SOURCE: Library Association Record January 1939.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27026 89932

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:08:43.