List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER ELYSIUM OR GAIETY CINEMA

List entry Number: 1390538

Location

FORMER ELYSIUM OR GAIETY CINEMA, 186, SEASIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jul-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 490460

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



623/0/10064 SEASIDE 28-JUL-03 186 Former Elysium or Gaiety Cinema

II

Cinema, later adapted toBingo hall. Dated 1914 on gable. Brick, with some iron columns, hipped tiled roof to front. Long narrow auditorium behind narrow foyer, with small rear gallery. EXTERIOR: Queen Anne style front stuccoed with centrepiece set forward under gable, flanked by paired pilasters, and with dentilled cornice and gable surround. Central paired windows under gable, single windows in flanks, all set within decorated architrave surrounds. These are wooden multipaned sashes. Ground floor has central paired doors and one side door to left, probably of late 1960s or early 1970s; shop fronts in between boarded over at time of survey. Blocked window to left hand side visible internally. Canopy has chrome edgine and may retain an earlier canopy underneath. INTERIOR: Narrow foyer with coved cornice to front and egg and dart moulded cornice and three plaster panels with corner paterae behind. Staircase retains original corner column. Raked auditorium has arcade to either side. Between its shallow openings are set pilasters, terminating in swags and shell capitals. Barrel-vaulted ceiling, with moulded ribs and circular ventilation holes. Proscenium arch is large plastered Caerarvon arch and brick rear wall, to which the screen was probably directly fixed before sound, is visible. Staircase leads to first floor offices and toilets at the front, a narrow corridor with egg and dart cornice and the Gallery. Gallery retains a circular egg and dart moulding,probably for a light fitting, moulded cornice with two side doorcases with chamfered pilasters and the balustrading is very thick suggesting the possibility of earlier balustrading surviving behind.There is a separate staircase from the Gallery to the south. HISTORY: The cinema was built as the Eastbourne Picture Theatre, and became the Elysium Cinema in 1921 and the Gaiety in 1936. Included as an unusually complete example of a pre-1914 cinema, with considerable original plaster decoration.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TV 61951 99692

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 09:32:11.