List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASCHAM ST VINCENT WAR MEMORIAL ARCH

List entry Number: 1389575

Location

ASCHAM ST VINCENT WAR MEMORIAL ARCH, CARLISLE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 488263

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



623/0/10060 CARLISLE ROAD 17-OCT-01 Ascham St Vincent War Memorial Arch

II



War memorial. 1919-20. Perpendicular style memorial arch to commemorate former pupils of Ascham St Vincent's School who lost their lives in the First World War. Built of red brick in English bond with sandstone dressings. About 30 feet high and 25 feet wide. Comprises four-centred arch with pediment above flanked by wide brick and stone piers with brick and stone buttresses. Pediment has stone inscription having border with carved floral emblems and central wreath with inscription "In memory of 49 gallant men who were at school here in their early boyhood and gave their lives in the service of their country during the Great War of 1914-19. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them." The spandrels to the arch are carved with shield and floral motifs. The obverse side is plainer with an inscription reading "They went with songs to the battle, they were young Straight of limb, true of eye steady and aglow They were stanch (sic) to the end against odds uncounted They fell with their faces to the foe." The sides have stone pointed arched tablets with the names of the fallen. A worn inscription to the base of southernmost pier records that the stone was laid by the mayor of Eastbourne in 1819. The remainder of the school has been demolished.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TV 60180 98203

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 08:50:00.