List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WYTHENSHAWE BUS DEPOT

List entry Number: 1389256

Location

WYTHENSHAWE BUS DEPOT, BRADNOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ManchesterMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jul-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 487891

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ88NW BRADNOR ROAD 698-1/11/11150 Wythenshawe 13-JUL-01 (Northeast side) Wythenshawe Bus Depot

II*

Former bus garage, now warehousing. 1939-42 by Manchester City Architect's Department, Chief Architect G Noel Hill; concrete structure devised by Messrs Chisarc and Shell D Ltd, consulting engineer H G Cousins. Reinforced concrete arched construction, with shell concrete barrel vaults incorporating central top lights of individual square prisms. The concrete arches in the garage have a span of 165 feet, a rise of approximately 42 feet, and are 42 feet apart; the thickness of the roof shell is 23/4 inches thick. Repair hall and washing bays to rear, now in separate occupation, are of rendered brick, with repair hall roof formed of seven longitudinal shell cylinders of 22'6" radius incorporating roof lights, with rigid end frames and deep edge beams, the central bay with expansion joints. Long strip glazing in side walls of main garage, with folding doors to front.

The garage with accommodation for one hundred double-decker buses was planned to serve as a depot for the Manchester Corporation bus services to the Wythenshawe Housing Estate, but it was taken over by the Ministry of Aircraft Production immediately on completion in 1942 for the production of A V Roe's Lancaster aircraft. It is one of the first reinforced concrete shell roof structures to be built in England. Chisarc and Shell D Ltd were the British patentees, but as the system was both innovatory and German they found few clients in the late 1930s. It is a smaller, but earlier and more daring shell roof than that at Bournemouth, and anticipates the better-known bus garage at Stockwell, LB Lambeth (II*). The late 1930s and early 1950s saw the building of very many bus garages as tram services gave way to buses, and shell construction was a very cheap way of achieving broad, uninterrupted spans. The general equations for shell domes and cylindrical shell roofs were first published in England in 1930, and again in August 1935. However, this was the pioneering example of the means of construction, and was widely influential in the years after the war when steel, timber and bricks were in short supply.

Sources The Builder, 15 September 1939, p.437 Official Architecture, August 1939, pp.774-5 The Builder, 19 July 1946, pp.62-3 Architect and Building News, 26 July 1946, pp.54-5 Architects' Journal, 5 September 1946, pp.176-8 Concrete and Constructional Engineering, September 1946

Listing NGR: SJ8306089384

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 15 September, (1939), 437
'The Builder' in 19 July, (1946), 62-3
'Architect and Building News' in 26 July, (1946), 54-5
'Official Architecture' in August, (1939), 774-5
'Concrete and Constructional Engineering' in September, (1946)
'Architects Journal' in 5 September, (1946), 176-8

National Grid Reference: SJ 83060 89384

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 09:46:41.