List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOCOMOTIVE SHED

List entry Number: 1389124

Location

LOCOMOTIVE SHED, THE GROVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DorsetWeymouth and PortlandDistrict AuthorityPortland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 486718

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTLAND

SY67SE THE GROVE 969-1/1/10001 Locomotive Shed 26-JAN-01

II



Locomotive sheds, now disused. Mid C19 (pre-1864 when they are shown on the Portland map) for the Admiralty Quarries private railway. Coursed Portland limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, replacement corrugated asbestos roof. Three joined single storey one road single loco sheds, built at different times, but all in situ by 1864. Sheds 1 and 2 are parallel with hipped roofs; Shed 3 is a lengthening of Shed 2 and has a roof hipped at the north end and gabled at the south (entrance) end. Sheds 1 and 2 have segmenta arched doorways, while Shed 3 has a flat timber lintel, all doors are now fragmentary. Various rectangular windows with the remains of frames, three to the long wall of Shed 1, two to Sheds 2 and 3. Sheds 1 and 2 have timber king post truss roofs, that of Shed 3 is common rafters with collars; other interior features are fragmentary. History: These sheds were built for the Admiralty Quarries railway which was set up to carry stone down to the harbour for use in building the great breakwater which was constructed between 1847 and c 1905. These sheds housed the locomotives for the quarry lines on the island plateau, the stone was then transferred to the quayside by a cable worked incline. They continued in use until c1935 and the lines were dismantled in WWII. It is unusual for locomotive sheds from this period to survive in so unaltered a state. Information provided by the local correspondent.

Listing NGR: SY7001272763

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 70012 72763

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 05:59:05.