List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SUBDEANERY AND EAST MIDLANDS TOURIST BOARD OFFICES

List entry Number: 1388668

Location

THE SUBDEANERY AND EAST MIDLANDS TOURIST BOARD OFFICES, 18 AND 18A, MINSTER YARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireLincolnDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 486129

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE MINSTER YARD 1941-1/9/252 (South West side) 08/10/53 Nos.18 AND 18A The Subdeanery (No.18) and East Midlands Tourist Board offices (No.18A)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Precentory MINSTER YARD. Precentory, now subdeanery and offices. C13 and C14, with C17 additions. Remodelled and extended 1827. Refronted 1873 by J L Pearson. A Roman hypocaust and mosaic pavement were found on the site in the C18, and remain in situ. Dressed stone and brick, with stucco east front, ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs, with 4 gable and single ridge and side wall stacks. EXTERIOR: sill band, 2 string courses, eaves band, coped parapet and gables to north and east fronts. 2 and 3 storeys, 3 bays. L-plan. North front has steps in the return angle to the right, with a moulded four-centred arched doorway with hoodmould, sidelights and overlight. Above it, a 4-light stone mullioned cross casement. To the left, a square bay window, 2 storeys, with a similar 4-light window on each floor. East front has a wooden doorcase with cornice and recessed 6-panel door, flanked to right by a glazing bar sash. Above, 3 glazing bar sashes. To the left, a square stair tower with parapet, with single light windows on the lower floors and a cross casement above. South side has two fronts, 2 and 3 storeys, 3 bays, with glazing bar casements. INTERIOR No.18A has partly panelled entrance hall, late C17, with wooden fireplace and overmantel and moulded beams. First floor room with similar fielded panelling. In the basement a section of Roman tessellated pavement approx. 1 x 1.5m, and a medieval cistern. Towards the rear, a Roman hypocaust reached by a stone winder stair in a stone lined round arched stairwell. At the foot of the stairs, a segment arched recess opposite a round arched brick firehole. The hypocaust, approx. 10m x 5m, has square brick columns carrying a terracotta floor. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 488; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Lincoln: 1987-: 84-90; Report and overall assessment of listable quality: Hewlings R: Secular properties..... in Lincoln Minster Close: London: 1987-).



Listing NGR: SK9767871782

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hewlings, R, Secular properties in Lincoln Minster Close, (1987)
Jones, , Major, , Varley, , The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln (2nd fascicule), (1987), 84-90
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 488

National Grid Reference: SK 97678 71782

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 03:11:19.