List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AT GOWTS

List entry Number: 1388599

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AT GOWTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireLincolnDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 486044

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK97SE HIGH STREET 1941-1/2/180 (East side) 08/10/53 Church of St Peter at Gowts

I

Church. C11, C12, C13, C14. North aisle and porch 1852, by W A Nicholson. Chancel enlarged 1887 by C H Fowler. Coursed rubble and dressed stone, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: west tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, 2 aisles, porch, organ chamber, vestry, south chapel. EXTERIOR: west tower, unbuttressed, 2 stages, has chamfered plinth, quoins, string course, eaves band, coped parapet and pyramidal roof. Round headed west doorway, C19, with relief in tympanum. Above, a round headed window, and above again, a clock and a similar window, both with hoodmoulds. South side has another window. Recessed bell stage has on each side double round headed openings with mid wall shafts and fluted capitals. Nave has coped gable and C19 turret-shaped chimney in south-east corner. South-east side has 3 restored 2-light pointed arched windows above the chapel. North aisle, 3 bays, has buttresses, chamfered plinth and eaves and coped gables. Decorated style windows, 2 and 3 lights, with hoodmoulds. Gabled north porch has matching doorway. South aisle, C13, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and coped gables. South side has 3 buttresses. To left, a blocked doorway. To right, 2 Decorated windows, 4 and 3 lights, with hoodmoulds. North-east chapel and organ chamber, 2 storeys, has coped east gable with a stack and a timber framed west gable with a window with wooden mullions. North side has a pointed arched door flanked by a stone mullioned window and a Decorated 3-light window. East end has a 2-light pointed arched window on each floor. Vestry, C19, has parapet and a pointed arched north door. 2 and 3 light pointed arched windows throughout. Chancel has coped east gable, sill band and linked hoodmoulds. 3 round headed windows, and single round window above. South side has low round headed windows to left and to right, three C19 ogee headed lancets. South chapel, 2 bays, built 1347 as a chantry, has corner and angle buttresses, plinth and coped gables with kneelers. South side has two 3-light pointed arched windows with intersecting tracery, and east end has a similar window. INTERIOR: tower arch has plain imposts and a C19 wooden screen



and gallery. Triangular headed doorway above. Nave has north arcade, C19, 4 bays, with concave sided octagonal piers with 4 keeled shafts, stiff leaf capitals, and double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds. Similar south arcade has a C14 eastern bay with octagonal responds, moulded capitals and no hoodmoulds. Arch braced king post roof with struts, C19. North aisle has west and north-west windows, c1891, by Kempe. Wooden arch to chapel at east end. Both aisles have lean-to roofs, C19. North chapel and organ chamber has to north a marble and ashlar aumbry, C19, with shafts. Canted barrel vaulted wooden roof with painted decoration. South chapel has to west a double chamfered arch with demi-shafts. North-east corner has a tomb recess to Radulfus Jolyf, 1347, with inscribed soffit and hoodmould with triple shafts. Beside it, remains of a squint and 2 corbels. Arch braced king post roof, C19, with painted decoration. Chancel, archless, has a hanging rood, 1920, by Temple Moore, and painted barrel vaulted roof. North side has a 2 bay arcade to the chapel and organ chamber, with Perpendicular style wooden screens. East end has a Perpendicular style stone reredos with figures, C20. East and south-west windows all C19 stained glass. South side has to east a restored ogee headed piscina. FITTINGS: include a C11 tub font with blind arcading, on a renewed stem. Other fittings C19. MEMORIALS: include 12 late C18 and C19 tablets, and a war memorial board, 1918. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 499-500).





Listing NGR: SK9732070401

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 499-500

National Grid Reference: SK 97320 70401

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 08:30:46.