List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

List entry Number: 1388543

Location

CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, FREE SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireLincolnDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 485988

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771SE FREE SCHOOL LANE 1941-1/12/119 (East side) 18/07/73 Church of St Swithin

GV II*

Church. Nave and aisles 1869-71, chancel 1879, tower and spire 1884-87. By James Fowler of Louth, and "without doubt his most important church". (Pevsner). Paid for largely by the Shuttleworth family. Rockfaced ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Early English style. PLAN: west tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, north and south porches, chancel, vestry. EXTERIOR: deep moulded plinth, string courses, sill band, billeted eaves, coped gables with crosses. West tower, 3 stages, has gabled angle buttresses and stair turret to south-east. Inscribed eaves band with gargoyles, 4 spire-topped octagonal pinnacles, flying buttresses supporting a set back octagonal spire with a single tier of lucarnes. West door has clustered shafts under a crocketed gable. Above, a 3-light window with hoodmould. Second stage has blind arcading with crocketed gables. Third stage has on each side a pair of moulded 2-light openings with shafts and crocketed gables. Clerestory has on each side 18 lancets, those to the south set in blind arcading with shafts. North aisle, 6 bays, has buttresses and five 3-light windows with Geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds. In the west end, a similar window. North porch has a moulded doorway with shafts and hoodmould under a coped gable. Similar south aisle has a coped parapet and an additional window at the east end. Buttressed, larger south porch has a doorway with double shafts and hoodmould, and above it, a blind arcade with figure panels. On either side, a 2-light window with Y-tracery. Chancel, 2 bays, has buttresses, pierced balustrade, and crocketed east gable. East end has sill band, a 5-light window with hoodmould, and above it, a recess with a demi-figure. Flanking buttresses are topped with blind-arcaded spires. South side has two 3-light windows. Vestry has gabled porch and two 2-light windows with Y-tracery. North gable has an external stack and 2 lancets. INTERIOR: double chamfered tower arch has double ringed shafts and hoodmould. Tower chamber has blind arcading and a west window by A L Moore & Co. Nave has 6 bay arcades with round and octagonal piers,



octagonal responds and double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds. Clerestory has sill band and linked hoodmoulds. Arch braced double purlin roof with curved wind braces, and round wall shafts on corbels. Aisles have sill bands, glazed wooden porches, and lean-to roofs with arch braces. North aisle east end has a double chamfered arch with panelled screen and organ pipes. South aisle east end has a painted triptych and brass, 1913, and stained glass window, 1888. Chancel has roll moulded arch with double ringed shafts, screen wall with quatrefoil band and wrought-iron railing. Continuous sill band. North side has a stilted arched recess with organ case and Perpendicular style screen. East end has a panelled dado in the same style, and a wooden reredos with figures in niches. Stained glass window, 1879. South side has piscina and sedilia with crocketed gables. 2 stained glass windows c1880. Arch braced wooden barrel vault with painted decoration. FITTINGS include traceried oak pulpit and panelled octagonal font, both on bases with clustered shafts, stalls and desks, all C19. Freestanding wooden screen with inscription, semicircular pediment and keystone, C20. Roman stone altar, discovered on the site, remains on display. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 500).





Listing NGR: SK9774271227

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 500

National Grid Reference: SK 97742 71227

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:51:05.