List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1388295

Location

TOWN HALL, VICTORIA SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BoltonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476298

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLTON

SD7109SE VICTORIA SQUARE 797-1/17/229 (West side) 26/04/72 Town Hall

GV II*

Town Hall. 1866-1873, extended 1938. William Hill of Leeds, architect of original building, assisted by George Woodhouse. Extensions by Bradshaw, Gass and Hope. Ashlar, rusticated to basement storey. Classical temple form, with high tower over pedimented entrance. EXTERIOR: high basement storey and 2 principal floors above, the plan comprising central hall lit by clerestory, with offices etc. forming an outer ring. Entrance front has high podium, and wide flight of steps leading to central pedimented portico of 5 bays with composite columns and high relief allegorical sculpture by W Calder Marshall in the pediment. Central entrance doors with round arched window over, within portico. Outer ranges of 5 bays, 2 storeys with basement, articulated by composite engaged shafts, and with round arched windows to first floor. Baroque tower set back behind pedimented centre on vermiculated base with clock flanked by rusticated panels, and composite pilasters to upper stage with round arched recessed lights and balustrading above. Recessed upper stage with pedimented cornice, terminating in stone dome with elaborate stone fleche. Smaller pedimented towers (possibly concealing ventilation ducts or chimneys) to either side. 4-bay returns articulated by composite pilasters, with round arched upper windows then advanced 5-bay range similarly detailed with entrance in centre. This advanced range was originally central to symmetrical return elevations, but extensions of 1938 (in identical style) formed 9-window range each side, with central entrances in projecting porches. Symmetrical rear elevation of 17 bays with central entrance in porch. This rear range houses office accommodation and is a later addition. INTERIOR: front block (the original building) houses public rooms, council chamber and committee rooms etc. on principal storeys, the basement storey, office accommodation. Rear range devoted to municipal offices. Central hall itself damaged by fire in 1981, and now reconstructed with an inserted ceiling bisecting the room to form 2 public halls. Original scheme, the walls divided by plaster panelling with composite pilasters, and coffered ceiling with vaulting over segmentally headed clerestory windows has been reconstructed, as has the



ornate case of the organ. Other rooms retain original detail, with heavy plaster work to ceilings and cornices, pedimented doorcases and panelled doors. Interior decoration all by WB Simpson, and the corridors, intended to be fireproof, have tiles by Minton Hollins. (BOE: Pevsner N: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-; Cunningham C: Victorian and Edwardian Town Halls: London: 1981-; Bolton and District Civic Trust: Buildings of Bolton: Bolton: 1983-; The Builder, 31 May and 7 June 1873).





Listing NGR: SD7157009154

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Buildings of Bolton, (1983)
Cunningham, C , Victorian and Edwardian Town Halls, (1981)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)
'The Builder' in 7th June, (1873)
'The Builder' in 31st May, (1873)

National Grid Reference: SD 71570 09154

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 08:16:09.