List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1388252

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, BATH STREET
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BoltonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476250

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLTON

SD7109NE ST GEORGE'S ROAD 797-1/14/195 (North side) 26/04/74 Church of St George

GV II*

Includes: Church of St George BATH STREET. Church, now in use as craft centre. 1796 with late C20 alterations. Brick with slate roof and stone dressings. West tower and single span roof over galleried nave, expressed externally as 2 storeys; shallow chancel and south chapel added or rebuilt 1907, by James Simpson. EXTERIOR: 4 stage tower, with pedimented west doorway with traceried fanlight; iron-framed ogee window above, and clock inset in stone. Triple bell-chamber lights beneath segmental archway in upper stage. Stone parapet with ball finials. 7-bay nave, extended by a single bay to the north-east. Pedimented over central 4 windows each side. Round arched windows with margin lights, the window in the north-east extension in stone architrave. West doors each side, with diagonal panelling and pedimented cases. Interlace tracery in fanlights. Early C20 chancel in flamboyant interpretation of the classical style; Pedimented feature applied to east wall, with round arched main window with oculus above, in segmentally arched recess with elongated voussoirs, and panelled pilasters each side. Venetian window in each wall of south chapel. INTERIOR: 7 bays, with galleries to west, north and south. Wood panelling encasing supporting pillars, and panelled parapet to galleries. Segmentally arched ceiling, divided into plaster panels with simple mouldings. Low stone wall to chancel which is raised up steps flanked by heavy volutes as balusters. Coupled piers divide the chancel into 2 bays, expressed by enriched plasterwork to segmentally arched ceiling. Paired arches to chapel to south, with organ chamber to north. Pilasters flank the east window, which has pictorial stained glass as a private war memorial. Chancel furniture in Renaissance style, including choir stalls and ornate high pedestal pulpit with long curved staircase; altar rails and altar piece with central niche below broken pediment. (BOE: Pevsner N: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).



Listing NGR: SD7160009600

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SD 71600 09600

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:26:26.