List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE

List entry Number: 1388034

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE, ESKRICK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BoltonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476032

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLTON

SD71SW ESKRICK STREET 797-1/2/85 (East side) 26/04/74 Church of St Thomas the Apostle

II*

Parish church. 1875. Paley and Austin, architects. Brick with minimal stone dressings, and green slate roof. PLAN: nave with clerestory and 2 aisles, storey vestry and bellcote forming south transept, chancel. EXTERIOR: symmetrical west front with stepped wide lancet windows flanked by 2 rose windows, and with 2 lower lancet windows below, each side of central buttress. Lean-to aisles of 8 bays, with coped gabled north and south porches. Plain stone bands and hoodmoulds to wide foiled lancet windows. 14-light clerestory, arcaded by continuous hoodmould. South transept houses vestries, with 2 lancet windows and narrow doorway, and rose window above. Louvred bellcote is dormer with pyramidal roof. 2 storey vestry in east angle with chancel. Stepped lancets with flanking rose windows at east end, set in full-height stone arch, with blind brick arcading below. INTERIOR: nave arcade of 5 bays with cylindrical shafts with stiff leaf capitals carrying stepped pointed brick arches with stone hoodmoulds. Stone string course and continuous hoodmould articulate the moulded pointed brick arches of the clerestory, which has moulded cornice above. Ribbed boarded wagon roof with chamfered tie beams and kingposts. Lean-to aisles have curved principals sprung from wall posts. Clustered shafts to chancel arch with additional responds carried on corbels. Stiff leaf capitals and stepped brick arch. Rectangular stone pulpit at chancel arch, corbelled out from the base, with polished marble corner shafts, and simple acanthus frieze. Plain brick surfaces throughout, relieved by bands of herringbone work, and with wood panelling to lower walls of sanctuary, and recessed brick panels with gilded emblems etc. at east end. Encaustic tiles to sanctuary. Stepped brick arches to organ chamber and lady chapel to north and south of chancel, the south arch lower, and with 2 rose windows above it. Open-work timber screen separates the lady chapel from the chancel. Brick segmentally arched piscina and sedilia. Reredos added in 1893, by John Carlisle of Kirby Lonsdale: wood, renaissance style, with linen-fold lower panels, arcaded



panelling above with stylised flower motifs in relief, and figures of the apostles beneath shell canopies forming an upper row of panelling. Central panel is a low relief of the Last Supper flanked by saints. Openwork cornice. FITTINGS: choir furniture apparently all c1911; altar c1960 replacing an earlier one damaged by fire. The lady chapel was fitted as a war memorial and opened in 1922: reredos and wall panelling incorporating a memorial. Font at west end of nave; c1950, a simple cylindrical basin with low-relief scallop-moulding below the rim. STAINED GLASS: as originally designed, the church had plain windows with simple stained margin lights; many of these remain, though several stained glass windows were added, including the east window of 1907, possibly by Holland; a series in north and south aisles and lady chapel by Shrigley and Hunt, c1920, and the west windows which form a pair, one of which is dated 1919. (Kirkman H: Church of Saint Thomas, Halliwell: Parish History: Bolton: 1950-).







Listing NGR: SD7080010758

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Kirkman, H , Church of Saint Thomas Halliwell: Parish History, (1950)

National Grid Reference: SD 70800 10758

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:32:45.