List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PROVINCIAL HOUSE AND GATEPIERS TO NORTH EAST

List entry Number: 1387843

Location

PROVINCIAL HOUSE AND GATEPIERS TO NORTH EAST, CANUTE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 475835

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON CANUTE ROAD

983/5/10031 Provincial House and gatepiers to NE

GV II

Bank. 1927-9; by F.C.R. Palmer, for the National Provincial Bank. Buff-coloured Flemish bond brick with red brick and Portland stone dressings. Clay plain tile hipped roof with moulded Portland stone eaves. Side stacks with Portland stone weathering to set-offs and moulded stone caps. PLAN: Almost square, parallelogram on plan, to fit site adjacent to former railway; with entrance and staircase on north front and banking hall at back. Neo-Georgian/Wrenaissance style. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-bay north front, the corners with quoins set back; the ground floor windows and large central round-arch doorway with rusticated architraves, voussoirs and band at impost level; broad stone stringcourse above and tall central first floor window in moulded stone architrave with cornice on consoles; flanking windows and second floor window above in red brick architraves with keystones, the second floor window flanked by carved stone festoons; cornice and balustrade above with urns on corners; the attic above is set back and has hipped roof with dormer with segmental pediment. The side and rear elevations are similarly treated. Rainwater heads dated 1928. INTERIOR: Banking hall has a moulded plaster ceiling. Small entrance vestibule and geometric stone staircase with iron balustrade with brass handrail.



Listing NGR: SU4267711030

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 42632 10994

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 08:23:30.