List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1387811

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, VILLAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 475803

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NESTON

SJ3174 VILLAGE STREET, Burton Village 794-1/11/15 (North side) 27/12/62 Church of St Nicholas

GV II*

Parish church. C12 and C14; re-ordered 1721 on datestone over south door; restoration and chancel rebuilt 1870. MATERIALS: coursed red sandstone; grey slate roofs with stone coped gables and sandstone ridges. PLAN: continuous nave and chancel; north aisle, continuous chapel and north vestry; west tower. EXTERIOR: 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. 4-stage tower with south and west doors of nail-studded oak under semicircular heads with keystones and ogee architraves. The tower is divided into stages by projecting bands, the lower band inscribed with the names of trustees, mason, carpenter, and date of remodelling. Above the south door there is a semicircular headed window with imposts and keystone and leaded glazing: at third stage, a single hand clock dial. Bell-chamber openings are louvred with Y-traceried heads. Moulded cornice and plain solid parapet. Twin gabled east end has 2-stage buttresses diagonally at outer angles and between gables: both have 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, that to north chapel dating to 1380. North and south walls have simple round headed lights in pairs surmounted by a circular light, all recessed within a slightly projecting semicircular arch, with flanking pilasters and sill. Ogee-moulded eaves cornice and solid coped parapet. On the south side, a multi-stepped buttress separates nave from chancel. Chancel south windows are paired lancets with quatrefoils above. North vestry has two trefoil-headed lancets in the gable end. Stone gable crosses to chancel and vestry. INTERIOR: 5-bay north arcade based on Tuscan columns and with keystones to the arches. 5-panel oak altar, without reredos fronted by Jacobean style communion rail with alternate twisted and turned balusters. Choir stalls with trefoil and quatrefoil motifs fronted by oak rail with trefoil and quatrefoil tracery which incorporates an earlier pulpit. Massey Chapel to north has plain altar table fronted by simple rail and oak verticals. Vestry door of pine boards on strap hinges in shouldered arch. Pews are of pine with alternate spade and fleur-de-lys pewends. Stained glass by Kempe in chancel east window. Wood commandment boards of 1700 above tower arch with war memorials



below. Massey memorials, marble 1579, alabaster 1794; Congreve hatchment 1820. Set of 5 bells date from 1724. Roofs: continuous nave and chancel roofs of bracketed collar trusses incorporating cusped wind braces, exposed purlins, ridge trees, ashlars and rafters. Trusses are seated on wooden and stone corbels.



Listing NGR: SJ3172374343

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 31723 74343

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 08:25:59.