List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CANUTE CHAMBERS

List entry Number: 1387770

Location

CANUTE CHAMBERS, CANUTE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 475762

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON CANUTE ROAD 983/5/10032 Canute Chambers

GV II

Offices of shipping company. Built in 1893 for the American Line. Flemish bond red brick with Portland stone dressings. Clay plain tile roof, gabled and half-hipped. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: Rectangular on plan, cross-gabled to right [W] and with central entrance. Queen Anne/Dutch Renaissance style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical north front with large 2-bay Dutch gable on right in five stages with semi-circular pediment, datestone 1893, cornices, blind arcading and first and second floor windows with moulded brick architraves with keystones and cornices; stone frieze below second floor windows inscribed Canute Chambers. Large ground floor windows have cambered arches with keystones and frames within with cornices, the left window retaining its sashes with pilasters; large canted bay window to left of centre with modillion cornice and central porch with scrolled pediment, arcaded overlight and double doors with scrolled pediments to centre panels. Lower eaves on left with dormers above with semi-circular pediments. Similar, but simpler, rear [S] elevation. INTERIOR not inspected. NOTE: Canute Chambers was built for the American Line. In 1907 it was occupied by the Great White Star Line, and in 1931 it was taken over by the United States Line, which occupied the offices until 1969.





Listing NGR: SU4267711030

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 42698 10989

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 06:17:44.