List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1387671

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HELEN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityNeston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 475657

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NESTON

SJ2977 HIGH STREET, Neston Town 794-1/6/66 (West side) 27/12/62 Church of St Mary and St Helen

GV II*

Parish church. C14 tower incorporating masonry from church of 1170, probably restored 1697; chancel, nave, aisles and upper stages of tower heavily restored and substantially rebuilt in 1875. C19 restoration by J Francis Doyle. MATERIALS: coursed squared red sandstone with ashlar dressings; slate roofs with red tile ridge cresting; stone copings, gable crosses and finials. PLAN: 2-bay chancel and north vestry; 6-bay aisled nave and south porch; west tower. EXTERIOR: 3 stepped lancets with stained glass to chancel east window flanked by diagonal buttresses. Aisle gable ends have trefoil headed lancets in pairs with trefoils above under hoodmoulds with face stops. A high plinth with cavetto cornice and ogee sill-string are continuous features throughout the east gable-ends and aisles elevations. Aisle windows are mainly lancets. On the south side, oak doors in the porch and to east in aisle wall are pointed and have hoodmoulds. On north side, vestry door is set within a recessed porch. 4-stage tower has low weathered plinth and diagonal buttresses. Small pointed door to west with trefoil window above; first stage has sunken narrow windows with flat heads. The upper levels have louvred 2-light traceried openings. Datestone set in the south face gives 1697 restoration date. Crenellated parapet with four main face gargoyles. INTERIOR: chancel has twisted crested wrought iron chancel rail. Painted stone reredos with statues, painted features, gablets and crocketed pinnacles; brass rail and mosaic floor to Sanctuary; 3-seat sedilia and panelled oak choir stalls. 6-bay nave arcades of alternately octagonal and round columns with moulded capitals. Round tower arch fitted with ornate memorial gates circa 1904: high on east wall, blind arcade of six shafts commemorates the earlier origins of the church. Waggon roof to chancel; diagonally boarded hammerbeam roof to nave. FITTINGS: pitch pine benches and nave wainscotting with quatrefoil frieze. C16 octagonal roll moulded stone font with quatrefoils to bowl and cusped lancet panels to stem. Panelled oak pulpit on stone base. MEMORIALS: 1914-1919 memorial window flanked by names on slate



tablets. Stones: fragments of Saxon crosses mounted at west end of church. STAINED GLASS: by Morris and Co, and Kempe.



Listing NGR: SJ2915077442

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 29150 77442

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 11:51:10.