List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABBEY CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS WITH SAINT EDBURGHA

List entry Number: 1387027

Location

ABBEY CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS WITH SAINT EDBURGHA, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireWychavonDistrict AuthorityPershore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1965

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Mar-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 474443

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PERSHORE

SO9445 CHURCH WALK 648-1/5/93 (West side) 11/02/65 Abbey Church of Holy Cross with St Edburgha (Formerly Listed as: Abbey Church of Holy Cross)

GV I

Abbey, now parish church. Founded C7; present building C11-C13 with some later-medieval remodelling; some C17 buttressing following Dissolution; major restoration 1860s by Giles Gilbert Scott; further alterations early C20. MATERIALS: mainly of limestone ashlar with parapeted plain tile, stone-tile and lead roofs. PLAN: apse; chancel with choir aisles, N and S transepts and crossing tower; the nave demolished at Dissolution. EXTERIOR: C19 apse has narrow lancets with continuous hoodmould; diagonal buttresses with offsets; corbel table; and steeply-pitched roof. Chancel N aisle has moulded single-light windows; continuous hoodmould; plain corbel table; moulded plinth; offset buttresses which have moulded strings and crocketed pinnacles with geometric blind tracery and rise as flying buttresses extending to clerestory. N clerestory has single-light windows with deep moulded embrasures surmounted by continuous hoodmould; lombard frieze and embattled parapet; polygonal E end surmounted by crocketed pinnacles. NE chapel has coped gable with apex stone and Perpendicular tracery to its E window. S chancel aisle similar to N aisle with Perpendicular E, SE and S windows; clasping buttresses, some incorporating slender 3/4 round shafts; blocked pointed and moulded arch to former S transept chapel with clustered shaft piers and remains of springing to vaulting. South transept: mostly Romanesque. Its E wall has 2 further attached moulded pointed arches with blocked round-arched features; adjacent are 3 bays of C13 crocketed blind arcading of former sedilia and piscina, with quatrefoil mouldings; embattled parapet with lombard frieze incorporating grotesques. South transept S wall: chevron-moulded blind arcading to gable, interspersed with single round-headed lights; cable-moulded string course; remodelled triple lancet window; roofline of former monastic buildings visible; central pier and blocked doorway.



South transept W wall: similar lombard frieze; roofline of former nave S aisle visible, and blocked aisle round arch with adjacent 3-light Perpendicular window and lancets to corner stair turret. West wall has blocked round-headed crossing arch with relieving arch above; remains of nave and arcade walls have Romanesque piers with cushion capitals; heavily-moulded former S doorway of 6 orders with stiff leaf capitals to E; inserted W window and door; the W wall all now heavily buttressed. North transept: remodelled and reinforced, but retains blocked round-headed arch to former N nave arcade. Tower: of 4 stages, completed 1330; 4 octagonal pinnacles, embattled at base, surmounted by large crockets with weathervanes; ringing chamber has four windows to each side, of 2 lights with geometric tracery, each central pair louvred and flanked by blind outer windows; ballflower-moulded string course and parapet; 3rd stage has embattled string course with ballflower mouldings at base and 2-light windows with trefoil-headed tracery; on W side, former nave roof-line is visible and small blocked round-arched window; on E, N and S sides, former chancel and transept roof-lines interrupt 2nd-stage windows; lancets to staircase corner turrets. INTERIOR: comprises apse and former chancel of 5 bays, now used as church, and crossing with nave truncated at W arch. E apse, built C19 in Early English style on site of former Lady Chapel, is 5-sided with 3 narrow lancets to E end flanked by triple-arched blind arcades, all with narrow pointed moulded arches, stiff leaf capitals and detached shafts, some of Purbeck marble; vault has heavily-moulded ribs and central boss. Chancel: rebuilt following fire in 1223, has polygonal E end with pointed E arch of 6 orders with roll mouldings supported by stiff-leaf capitals above clustered piers of detached or 3/4 round shafts, some of Purbeck marble; similar, unmarbled, piers to chancel arcades; combined triforium and clerestory, rising above moulded string course, incorporate single pointed lights within triple pointed-arched arcades of tall clustered shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, blind at E end; tierceron vaults have ribs rising from stiff-leaf corbels and stiff-leaf bosses. Aisles: slender attached piers of clustered shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and quadripartite vaults with roll-moulded ribs; N aisle lancet windows are all moulded with shafts and stiff-leaf decoration. NE chapel: moulded piscina in S wall and trefoil-headed shallow niche on E wall; S aisle has mainly Perpendicular windows; SE chapel has medieval floor tiles and moulded piscina in S wall.



North transept: blocked Romanesque arch with moulded capitals to N choir aisle; above this, a later adapted opening, a blocked opening, and former roof-line; taller Romanesque arch with cushion capitals to former nave N aisle. South transept: mainly Romanesque; roll-moulded arch with cushion capitals to S choir aisle; wider arch to former E chapel, now blocked and with inserted later-medieval blind arcading of 8 bays of cusped tracery surmounted by coving with leaf motifs; a deep, splayed, moulded round-arched window; blocked doorway above; remains of bead-moulded blind arcading, now shaftless, extends around SE and S walls; above is a Romanesque triforium arcade with heavy capitals rising from partly-moulded string course; similar clerestory arcade above with 4 pierced quatrefoils in S wall; round arch to SW staircase turret; blocked tall S nave aisle arch,as N aisle arch; cross-vault with moulded ribs and leaf bosses incorporating shields along ridge rib. Crossing has tall round arches with double 3/4 round shafts and some figurative, but mainly cushion, capitals; above, in tower, are 2 tiers of trefoil-headed arcading with heavily-moulded and partly-embattled string courses, part blind and part incorporating 2-light tower windows with trefoil heads, set back behind detached shafts; unusual bellcage erected 1864 by Gilbert Scott. FITTINGS: Romanesque font at NW with seated figures under billet-moulded arcade; replaced lower pedestal and cover. Benefaction board to Henry Smith and others, 1626, on NE tower arch, has a painted inscription on painted boards within moulded wooden frame. C18 hatchment over N entrance, of painted canvas with motto Resurgam; further hatchments in SE transept with inscriptions Morses Omnibus Communis and In Coelo Quies. MONUMENTS: freestanding effigies in S transept include: to E, an abbot, possibly William de Harvington or Abbot Hert, on tomb chest incorporating quatrefoils; to W, a cross-legged knight in chain mail, possibly Sir William de Harley, C13; on SW wall, painted Haselwood wall monument commemorates Thomas, d.1624, Elizabeth, and Sir Francis, and comprises one recumbent and 2 kneeling figures, a blank inscription panel within cartouche to rear, 3 free-standing piers supporting elaborately-carved arms, and chest with strapwork panels and scagliola decoration; further monument to Fulke and Dorothy Haselwood has 9 children in relief; other modest C18 and C19 wall monuments; in S transept, free-standing war memorial with cast bronze figure of Immortality by Alfred Drury; many ledger slabs in floor throughout. Parchment inspeximus of the Royal Privileges of the Abbey of Pershore, 1453, in metal case fixed to crossing S wall.



C19 wallpainting in medieval style to W wall of crossing; traces of medieval wallpainting on crossing piers. Section of late-medieval woodcarving incorporating inscription in NE transept; late-medieval wooden chest against W wall. STAINED GLASS: includes windows by Clayton and Bell, Hardman and Co and Kempe. (BoE: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-; Wilson M: Pershore Abbey: Much Wenlock: 1994-).



Listing NGR: SO9478845793

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Wilson, M - Title: Pershore Abbey - Date: 1994
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Worcestershire - Date: 1968

National Grid Reference: SO 94785 45789

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 08:58:22.