List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE SACRED TRINITY

List entry Number: 1386185

Location

CHURCH OF THE SACRED TRINITY, TRINITY MARKET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SalfordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471610

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SALFORD

SJ8398NW TRINITY MARKET 949-1/20/111 Church of the Sacred Trinity 31/01/52

GV II*

Church, now also library and offices. 1752 with tower of 1635. Restoration 1871-74 by Holden. Ashlar. West tower, nave and shallow chancel. EXTERIOR: 2-stage tower transitional Gothic-classical style, with Decorated window divided by transom in lower stage, and paired bell chamber lights above. Angle pilasters, and triglyph frieze below embattled parapet with cusped finials. Leaded spirelet with wrought-iron weather vane. Nave expressed as 2 storeys for galleried interior, with round-arched doorways to NW and SW with heavy voussoirs to arches and round-arched windows with kneelers and keystones on each floor, divided by plain string course. Modillion eaves cornice below parapet. Chancel projects as small rectangular bay with pair of round-headed windows with round-headed niche above, and string course. INTERIOR: galleried plan with aisles below gallery now partitioned off to form separate offices. Galleries themselves now in use as library. Moulded wood panelling to gallery and to casing of supporting piers, with Doric columns above. Shallow king-post and panelled roof dates from Victorian restoration.





Listing NGR: SJ8348698704

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 83486 98704

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 12:59:01.