List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1386145

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, LIVERPOOL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SalfordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1980

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471569

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SALFORD

SJ89NW LIVERPOOL STREET 949-1/4/70 (South side) 18/01/80 Church of St Luke

II*

Parish church. 1865, the chancel chapel added 1875. By George Gilbert Scott. Coursed sandstone rubble with plain-tiled roof. Gothic style with nave with clerestory and aisles. EXTERIOR: lower chancel with semicircular apse and attached chapels to N and S with parallel ridges and end gables. Projecting gabled porch to N. Slim tower over W end with angle buttresses and bell chamber lights with paired lancets. Brooch spire above with lucarnes. Nave of 4 bays, with paired lancets to aisles with foiled circular windows to clerestory. Paired lancets between buttresses to apse, and similar to side chapels but with plate tracery. Stone plinth with continuous sill-band. INTERIOR: quatrefoil piers to arcade, and apse with arcading alternating stained glass windows by Kempe and painted panels over panelled dado. East window possibly by Hardman. Tower supported internally by large circular columns with carved capitals. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-: 395).



Listing NGR: SJ8001398621

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South Lancashire - Date: 1969 - Page References: 395

National Grid Reference: SJ 80013 98621

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:34:18.