List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KERSAL CELL

List entry Number: 1386144

Location

KERSAL CELL, 20, 22 AND 24, WHITEWATER DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SalfordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471568

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/06/2012

SD80SW 949-1/2/69 31/01/52

SALFORD WHITEWATER DRIVE (West side) Kersal Cell, Nos. 20, 22 and 24

(Formerly listed as Kersal Cell, Littleton Road)

GV II*

Manor house, later restaurant. C16 with later additions. Timber-framed with plaster infill on a sandstone base. Welsh slate roof with axial and end wall stacks. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, hall range with cross-wings. Originally a 4-bay cruck-framed building, the cross-wings added later. Framed in square panels, with coving below eaves, and braced king-post roof construction to gabled wings. Recent restorations have replaced window ranges in the S elevation, which has a continuous band of fenestration to the ground floor, and a long narrow window to first floor, all with timber mullions. Doorway inserted to left of right-hand gable, which has renewed 5-light mullioned window to right, and canted oriel window above. Full-height canted bay window in left-hand gable. The N elevation is of painted brick with Gothic style windows in stuccoed square hoodmoulds. Exposed cruck trusses built into end walls with part of a restored plaster frieze with bold decoration to the left comprising a bordered panel with vine leaves, fleur-de-lys and escutcheon with initials E B and date 1697. To the right are 3 moulded devices with large unicorn supporters. C17 staircase with intertwined twisted balusters. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house stands on the site of Lenton Priory, a C12 Cluniac house. It was the home of John Byrom, shorthand writer, and author of 'Christians Awake'.





Listing NGR: SD8095801536

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 80958 01536

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:40:45.