List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HENRY WOOD HALL, INCLUDING GATE PEIRS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1385999

Location

THE HENRY WOOD HALL, INCLUDING GATE PEIRS AND RAILINGS, TRINITY CHURCH SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Sep-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471419

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3279 TRINITY CHURCH SQUARE 636-1/5/811 The Henry Wood Hall, including gate 02/03/50 piers and railings (Formerly Listed as: TRINITY CHURCH SQUARE (North side) Church of Holy Trinity, Newington)

GV II

Church, now concert hall. 1823-24. By Francis Bedford. Gutted by fire and rebuilt inside as orchestral hall, 1973-5. MATERIALS: Bath stone, copper roof. PLAN: plain, rectangular Bath stone church with main portico to (unusually) the north elevation, porch to south; low pitched copper roof with pedimented gable ends to east and west. Tower above the north pediment. EXTERIOR: church of 2 storeys, 3 bays to east and west, 5 bays to south with projecting central bay under small pediment, 7 bays to north with projecting Corinthian portico of 5 bays to centre. Quoin pilasters support architrave, frieze and cornice. 5 doorways to portico, 1 to centre of west end. Doors and windows segmental-headed with stone architraves, windows to 1st floor longer and with sill band. Tower of 2 stages, the lower stage square Doric columns flanking bell openings, clocks to each face below, the upper stage an octagonal lantern with feather capitals to columns. INTERIOR: rebuilt as an open hall with new west gallery retains some pilasters and cornice. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: stone gate piers with fret ornament and acroteria finials, cast-iron panelled railings a replica of those destroyed in war. All the listed buildings in Trinity Church Square form a group. (Survey of London: Darlington, I: Survey of London: St George's Fields: 1955-: 109-112).







Listing NGR: TQ3240879468

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - St Georges Fields The Parishes of St George the Martyr, Southwark and St Mary, Newington: Volume 25, (1955), 109-112

National Grid Reference: TQ 32408 79468

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 08:16:05.