List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OUR LADY OF RANSOM ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

List entry Number: 1385905

Location

OUR LADY OF RANSOM ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, GRANGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471324

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TV 6098 EASTBOURNE GRANGE ROAD

623/7/10052 Our Lady of Ransom R C Church

II

Roman Catholic Church. 1890-1903. By F A Walters. Buff sandstone and plain red tile roof. Decorated style. Chancel , with sacristy etc, nave, north aisle with baptistry, south aisle, lady chapel (north), south chapel, south-west tower and spire, shallow west porch. EXTERIOR. Chancel with five-light Decorated east window and two two-light clerestorey windows north and south. Gabled buttresses against the east wall. Chancel surrounded at the east end by sacristy, etc and chapels. Bell turret over the junction of chancel and nave. Five bay aisles with two-light windows with buttresses between, plain parapet and lean-to roofs. No clerestorey to nave. Tower with lancet windows in the two lower stages, two-light belfry windows, with octagonal third stage, parapet with chequerwork and behind this a shingled spire. Shallow west porch with Virgin and Child in a niche in gable. INTERIOR. Four bay nave with stone multishafted columns supporting pointed and chamfered arches. Octopartite wooden vaulting in chancel and nave roof keeled in imitation vaulting ribs. Elaborate Decorated reredos covering the whole width of the chancel with figures of saints under canopies, doors either side. Low stone screen in front of chancel. Carved wooden pulpit on stone base (north). Reredos in Lady Chapel with three sculpted panels depicting the Nativity, Adoration and the Flight into Egypt. Virgin and Child on a pedestal under a canopy (north). Reredos in south chapel, Christ flanked by two saints. Quatrefoil pier in the nave with subsidiary shafts in the angles, all members with fillets. West gallery on stone piers. HISTORY. A mission was established in Eastbourne in 1869 and a brick building was later erected in Junction Road. The building of the present church was led by Fr Charles Stapley and commenced in 1890 and completed in 1903 during the incumbency of Fr Paul Lynch. Bibliography: B W Kelly "Historical notes on English Catholic missions." (London, 1907), 162.



Listing NGR: TV6072198750

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Kelly, B W - Title: Historical notes on English Catholic Missions - Date: 1907 - Page References: 162

National Grid Reference: TV 60721 98750

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 10:10:08.