List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARY SHERIDAN HOUSE (PART) AND AREA RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1385874

Location

MARY SHERIDAN HOUSE (PART) AND AREA RAILINGS, 11 AND 13, ST THOMAS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Sep-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471293

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3280SE ST THOMAS STREET 636-1/17/736 (North side) 06/12/49 Nos.11 AND 13 Mary Sheridan House (part) and area railings (Formerly Listed as: ST THOMAS'S STREET (North side) Nos.11-15 (Odd))

GV II*

2 houses of a terrace of 3, now one administrative complex. Early C18. Mixed reddish and yellow brick with stucco bands and slate mansard with dormers behind brick parapet. 3 storeys, attic and sunk basement, 3 bays. Timber doorcases with pulvinated friezes and console bracketed modillion cornices. 6-panelled doors recessed in panelled jambs with cornice heads, No.13 with patterns to fanlight. Gauged, flat brick arches to revealed sash windows with glazing bars to all floors, those to No.13 2nd floor in flush boxed frames. Stucco band above ground and 2nd floors. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron area railings with urn and spearhead finials dated 1852. HISTORICAL NOTE: originally houses for the receiver (No.11), and minister (No.13) of old St Thomas's Hospital. Now, with Nos 15 (qv), 17 & 19 (not included), they form administrative offices for Guy's Hospital.







Listing NGR: TQ3279780181

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32797 80177

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 12:59:11.