List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1385873

Location

9A, ST THOMAS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Sep-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471292

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3280SE ST THOMAS STREET 636-1/17/735 (North side) 06/12/49 No.9A (Formerly Listed as: ST THOMAS'S STREET (North side) Chapter House of Southwark Cathedral)

GV II*

Parish Church of St Thomas, now offices and museum. c1702-03. Used as chapter house for Southwark Cathedral, 1901-80, and part as operating theatre for St Thomas' Hospital. Early craftsmen included Thomas Cartwright, mason and Jonathan Maine, carver. 1901-2 conversion by Arthur Bartlett. MATERIALS: brown-red brick with stone dressings and slate roof. STYLE: plain Queen Anne style. PLAN: rectangular plan with advanced, square-plan tower of 4 storeys to south west. EXTERIOR: main elevation to street has one storey of 4 bays and sunken basement, while north elevation has attic dormers and lower level exposed. Main elevation has 4 round-headed windows with stone architraves and cherub head keystones, leaded lights incorporating stained-glass shields. Rusticated stone quoins and moulded stone cornice with pediment set against brick parapet with stone capping. Tower with rusticated quoins has doors in stone architraves on east and south faces, with segmental pediments and carved tympanum. At 1st-floor level a circular opening with moulded stone architrave on south, east and west faces (one on west blocked up); round-headed, louvred windows in stone architraves with keystones, one at 2nd-floor and one at 3rd-floor levels on each face. Stone bands at 2nd and 3rd floors, and moulded stone cornice surmounted by brick parapet with stone pedestals at angles and in middle of each face. (Altered) North elevation has 4 tall, straight-headed sash windows with glazing bars and red rubbed brick dressings, divided by attached Ionic pilasters with swags supporting modillion cornice. Lower level was formerly open cloister space underneath the north gallery of the church. INTERIOR: has panelled galleries with oak mouldings to north and west sides, original oak reredos with fluted, Corinthian pilasters under open segmental pediment with Royal Arms in panelled cresting having crown above and supporters either side; and side sections with obelisks over triangular



pediments. Finely moulded modillion cornice with interspersed paterae over egg-and-dart moulding. Staircase with turned balusters to gallery. Wainscoting renewed c1900-01. Restored clock of 1757 by William Parr. In attic, and now approached by tower staircase, is the old operating theatre of St Thomas's Hospital (1822-62), rediscovered in 1957 and furnished with reproduction gallery and appurtenances of surgeons' trade. Recently opened, along with the former herb garret, as a museum. HISTORICAL NOTE: church built as part of rebuilding scheme for old St Thomas's Hospital between 1680 and 1732, of which only it, and No.9 adjacent (qv) remain. Continued as a parish church until 1898. 1901-2 reordered inside for use as chapter house. North elevation is treated in same way as that of adjoining No.9 (qv) which was rebuilt for hospital at same time. Together they form one of the more important survivals of Queen Anne architecture in London). This building forms a group with Nos 9-15 (qqv).









Listing NGR: TQ3276680185

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32763 80190

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 05:22:30.