List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY ROTHERHITHE

List entry Number: 1385867

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY ROTHERHITHE, ST MARYCHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Sep-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471286

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3579 ST MARYCHURCH STREET 636-1/6/729 (North side) 06/12/49 Church of St Mary Rotherhithe (Formerly Listed as: ST MARY CHURCH STREET (North side) Church of St Mary)

GV II*

Church. 1714 rebuild of medieval church, tower inscribed 1747, spire rebuilt 1861, interior restored 1876. Tower by L Dowbiggin, interior by William Butterfield. MATERIALS: yellow brick with red brick and white stone dressings; heavy dentil cornice with brick parapet above to main building, stone quoins to church and tower. PLAN: rectangular plan with projecting west tower, centre bay at east end projecting as sanctuary, later 1-storey extension to north east for vestry and hall extension to north. EXTERIOR: main body of church 2 storeys, 5 bays with doors at either end of south side (right one now blocked up) with segmental-headed stone architrave, angel-head keystone and cornice on scrolled console brackets. Short, segmental-headed ground-floor windows with stone architraves and keystones and rubbed, red brick surrounds. Similar treatment to tall 1st-floor windows with round arches. Tower of 3 storeys, 1 bay to each face, has door in south side with stone Gibbs surround and cornice over. Ground and 1st floor of tower treated like main church, frieze and cornice above 1st floor. Tall 2nd floor with, on each face, a clock below and above a round-arched, louvred bell opening with bracketed and eared stone architrave with keystone. Balustraded parapet, circular Corinthian lantern stage above; obelisk spire. Similarly treated, large round-arched windows to east end, the wider central bay projecting and with pediment. INTERIOR: a coved nave of 3 unequal bays with 2 giant Ionic columns each side to aisles with flat ceilings. Segmental arch to sanctuary, with C18 panelling and reredos with fluted Corinthian columns, later C19 painted panels by Florence T Nicholson. Panelled west gallery with triglyph motifs on slender wrought-iron columns with curled wrought-iron capitals. FITTINGS: organ in original case with Doric entablature and rococo ornament, by John Byfield, 1764. MEMORIALS: monuments include: Captain Anthony Wood, 1625 with



relief of 3-masted ship; and rococo cartouche monument to Joseph Wade, King's Carver, 1743.



Listing NGR: TQ3517279848

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 35172 79848

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 06:03:26.