List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

List entry Number: 1385687

Location

CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, LYNTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471091

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3478SE LYNTON ROAD 636-1/29/510 (South side) 27/09/72 Church of St Augustine

GV II*

Church. 1875-1878, west end 1882-3. By Henry Jarvis and Son, architects; vestries added 1907 by Hesketh & Stokes. MATERIALS: red brick with stone dressings and pitched slate roof. STYLE: Early English. PLAN: Lofty 5-bay nave with clerestory, aisles and straight-ended ambulatory to 3-bay chancel; concrete vaulted undercroft. North extension of 1 bay at crossing and gabled porch to west end of north aisle. EXTERIOR: east tower designed but never built. Large west window with tiers of lancets, rose window in gable; entrances to centre and right below. Ground-floor windows double lancets with 5-light grouped lancets inside. Plate-traceried clerestory windows with groups of 3 lancets, 2-light openings inside. INTERIOR: has richly moulded arches to nave on figure-8 shaped sandstone piers with carved leaf capitals, clerestory windows behind arcade above string course. Slightly higher vaulted chancel with stone ribs and brick panels. North organ chamber and south chapel. Church established in poor area by Richard Foster.







Listing NGR: TQ3453578487

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 34535 78487

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 11:09:28.