List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OBELISK AT THE CENTRE OF ST GEORGE'S CIRCUS

List entry Number: 1385642

Location

OBELISK AT THE CENTRE OF ST GEORGE'S CIRCUS, ST GEORGE'S CIRCUS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySouthwarkLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jun-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471046

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWARK

TQ3179 ST GEORGE'S CIRCUS 636-1/4/464 02/03/1950 Obelisk at the centre of St George's Circus

II*

Obelisk. 1771. Robert Mylne. Stone. Removed from St George's Circus in 1905.Inscribed as follows: north face: ERECTED IN XI YEAR OF THE REIGN OF KING GEORGE THE THIRD. MDCCLXXI. THE RIGHT HONOURABLE BRASS CROSBY ESQUIRE, LORD MAYOR. South face: ONE MILE, CCCL FEET FROM FLEET STREET. Arms of the City of London below. East face: ONE MILE FROM PALACE YARD, WESTMINSTER HALL. West face: ONE MILE, XXXX FEET FROM LONDON BRIDGE. HISTORY. this obelisk was erected in 1771 in the centre of St George's Circus as part of the grand planning scheme designed by Mylne for Blackfriars Bridge Road. It provided the focal point(and signpost) for the radiating roads leading to various parts of the city from the entrance from the south. In c1897 it was removed to make way for a Victoria Diamond Jubilee clock-tower and was re-erected in the Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park on Lambeth Road where it was included in the List in 1950. In 1998 it was re-erected in its original position. The obelisk forms a significant group with the Duke of Clarence Public House no 32 London Road (qv), Nos 123-131 London Road (qv, Nos 113-119 Borough Road (qv and the former Presbyterian Chapel (qv) and St George the Martyr Library (qv), also Borough Road.











Listing NGR: TQ3165179453

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31651 79453

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 05:10:10.