List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1384705

Location

THE OLD VICARAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DevonMid DevonDistrict AuthorityTiverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-May-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 485159

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIVERTON

SS91NE CHEVITHORNE 848-1/2/64 The Old Vicarage 29/05/96

II

House, formerly a vicarage. 1870-1 by William Burges for Sir John Heathcoat-Amory. Squared stone rubble with dressings of probably Ham stone ashlar. Tiled roof. 2 large plain chimneys of squared stone rubble, symmetrically placed on the ridge. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: 4-square main block with narrow central entrance and stair hall. At rear, to left, a wing originally containing larder, kitchen and scullery. EXTERIOR: single storey with garret. 3 windows wide. Chamfered centre doorway with pointed arch; recessed 6-panel door (2 rows of 3 panels) with sidelights. To right, a 5-light mullioned and transomed bay window with square sides and pent roof. To left, a 4-light mullioned and transomed window. Above, 3 dormer gables, each of 2 lights with chamfered copings and kneelers. All windows have plain, unmoulded stone surrounds; small-paned glazing with margin-panes, the glazing bars of iron. Side-elevations have windows like those at the front. INTERIOR: plain, but with original staircase (deal dog-leg with patterned balustrade), panelled doors (with chamfered panel-frames) and chimney pieces. These last, 3 on the ground floor and 3 above, have chamfered stone surrounds and mantelshelves, the openings segmental-headed downstairs and flat upstairs. A seventh chimneypiece is reported to have been moved to the coach-house at Knightshayes. On the upper floor the rear left-hand room has a round-arched cast-iron grate, probably original. The right-hand front and back rooms have narrower, rectangular iron grates with reeded surrounds and sliding shutters to regulate the draught; flanking them are panels of brown glazed tiling. The grates are believed to be original, although they look somewhat later. HISTORY: there exists a building history of the house written on 2 sheets of vellum by the first occupant, WH Askwith, licensed curate of Chevithorne Chapel. He relates that the vicarage was built, at his request, by Sir John Heathcoat-Amory of Knightshayes in 1870-1, at a cost of ยป700.



Listing NGR: SS9741515431

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 97415 15431

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 12:21:03.