List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHEVITHORNE BARTON

List entry Number: 1384703

Location

CHEVITHORNE BARTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DevonMid DevonDistrict AuthorityTiverton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 485157

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TIVERTON

SS91NE CHEVITHORNE 848-1/2/62 Chevithorne Barton 12/02/52

II*

Manor house. Early C17, seat of the Frauncis (until 1664) and Prideaux (until C19) families; rear service wing, rebuilt in C19, remodelled in 1930 by Sir Albert Richardson for the Heathcote-Amorys. MATERIALS: render on rubble except for the freestone door and window dressings and copings; steep dry slate gabled roofs with 4 front gables which increase in size from the left; gable copings with moulded kneelers; rendered brick stacks: 2 rear lateral stacks with paired shafts (centre and left, 2 single stacks (towards left and towards right), the right-hand stack unrendered, and larger end stack on the right. PLAN: overall large E-shaped plan including service wings at rear, the latter remodelled 1930 to provide a large L-plan living room. Front range is large 3-room plan with cross passage towards left, central hall and slightly-projecting parlour wing on the right. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with 2nd-floor rooms partly in roof space; 1:1:2:1-bay range with wider parlour front projecting on the right. Square hoodmoulds over original 2, 3 and 4-light mullioned windows. 1-window-range entrance bay has wide round-arched moulded doorway with hoodmould. INTERIOR: Pevsner notes C17 features including four-centred first-floor doorway, open-well stair with ball finials to heavy newels, and the Oak Room in east wing with fluted pilasters to Jacobean panelling and fine plasterwork to frieze, single-rib ceiling and especially the overmantle with Orpheus and the figures of Hope and Wisdom. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: 1989-: 258).





Listing NGR: SS9861415847

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 258

National Grid Reference: SS 98614 15847

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 10:01:44.