List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAR MEMORIAL SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS WITH ENCIRCLING RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1384562

Location

WAR MEMORIAL SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS WITH ENCIRCLING RAILINGS, WALLGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484997

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD5805NW WALLGATE 24-1/7/112 (West side (off)) 24/10/51 War Memorial south of Church of All Saints, with encircling railings

GV II*

War memorial. 1925, by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Portland stone with bronze plaques. Eleanor Cross type. Octagonal 3-stage plinth, the centre and upper stages surrounded by rectangular bronze plaques with names of the fallen in raised lettering, and the upper stage with re-entrants on the south and north sides, the south lettered: "REMEMBER THE MEN OF WIGAN WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES TO THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 / AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-1945", and the north: "A GOOD LIFE HATH BUT A FEW DAYS / BUT A GOOD NAME LIVETH FOR EVER". High octagonal pillar with panelled sides, triangular shafts to the corners carried up to wreath-bearing figures between the windows of an elaborately and delicately traceried lantern with a corona and apex cross. Curved triangular memorial garden surrounded by dwarf walls with chamfered coping and dwarf quatrefoiled iron railings; entrances at corners flanked by lamp standards on octagonal plinths. Forms group with Church of All Saints (qv).





Listing NGR: SD5818505640

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 58185 05640

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:39:49.