List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1384556

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WALLGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484991

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD5805NW WALLGATE 24-1/7/106 (West side (off)) 24/10/51 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Formerly known as: Church of All Saints MARKET PLACE. Parish church. Mainly C15; but, except for the north tower and chapel, restored 1845-50 by Sharpe and Paley to the point of substantial rebuilding as a faithful copy; tower, top stage by Paley in 1861, restored and partly re-faced in 1922. Tower and chapel mostly of coursed squared sandstone; otherwise, sandstone ashlar, lead-clad roof. Perpendicular style. PLAN: 6-bay nave and 2-bay chancel as one vessel, with continuous south aisle, south porch at west end of this, north aisle with tower attached at junction with chancel and chapel to west of this, north vestry to chancel. EXTERIOR: the nave and chancel, separated by octagonal turrets with crocketed caps, have tall 4-centred arched clerestory windows coupled in each bay so as to form an almost continuous arcade, all the windows of 3 lights (except a 2-light window at the west end) with deep splayed reveals and linked hood-moulds, those of the nave with cusped lights and hollow spandrels and those of the chancel with Perpendicular tracery over similar lights. The south aisle is buttressed, with one large 4-centred arched window in each bay, those to the nave of 3 cusped lights with mouchette tracery and those to the chancel of 4 cusped lights with differing tracery in the heads (quatrefoil in the 1st, Perpendicular in the 2nd). Both nave and aisle have moulded bands and embattled parapets with slender crocketed pinnacles, those of the nave rising from angel corbels on the band and those of the aisle from carved grotesques. Prominent gabled porch to 2nd bay of nave aisle, in matching style, with moulded 2-centred arched doorway; priest doorway to 2nd bay of chancel aisle. At the west end the nave has a large 6-light traceried window with brattished transom, over a band of enriched quatrefoils; at the east end, the chancel has a large 7-light window with a transom, cusped lights below and Perpendicular tracery above. The north aisle has 3 bays, a square-headed doorway in the centre and large 7-light windows with Perpendicular tracery in the others. The tower, square and of 4 unequal stages, with diagonal buttresses, has small 2-centred arched windows to the 2nd stage with Y-tracery; large coupled 3-light belfry windows with stone louvres and Perpendicular tracery, and a short blind-arcaded top stage with a clock face in the centre of each side, a moulded cornice with prominent corner gargoyles, and an embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles and a pair of smaller ones in each side. The 2-bay chapel has large depressed arched windows of 5 stepped lights with cavetto mullions and hollow spandrels: 2 in the north side and one in the west gable, the latter with a C19 doorway breaking into its left corner. INTERIOR: 6-bay aisle arcades of quatrefoil columns with moulded 2-centred arches, shafts between the bays rising to clerestory and surmounted by consoles with statues of angels; at west end, tiered Corporation stalls of 1850; Perpendicular-style coffered roof with moulded beams and joists (said to be largely old timbers); chancel arch with good painted and carved screen and next to this a pulpit in matching style; chancel with Minton tiling; south chapel containing damaged stone effigies (believed to represent Sir William de Bradshaigh and wife Mab); north chapel with various Walmesley wall monuments; in south aisle wall monuments to Roger Downes of Wardley (1676), John Baldwin (d.1726) a small elaborately carved cartouche, William Bankes of Winstanley (1689) a draped cartouche with skull, and a stained glass window of St Christopher by William Morris 1868.





Listing NGR: SD5818005674

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 58180 05674

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 09:25:54.