List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1384523

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, STANDISHGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484957

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD5806SW STANDISHGATE 24-1/6/73 (East side) 24/10/51 Church of St John

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. Dated 1819 on frieze of colonnaded porch; restoration in progress at time of inspection (July 1992). MATERIALS: sandstone ashlar, hipped slate roof. STYLE: Classical. PLAN: rectangular, set back from, and at right-angles to street. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical west front with full-width Ionic colonnaded porch, the frieze inscribed "ERECTED ANNO DOMINI MDCCCXIX", 1st-floor impost band, cornice with blocking course and small central upstand. Large round-headed doorways in the 3 centre bays, all with stepped voussoirs, panelled double doors and fanlights with radiating glazing bars; and at 1st floor large round-headed windows in the 1st, 3rd and 5th bays, that in the centre now filled with C20 mosaic and the others with renewed arched joinery. 4-bay side walls, pilastered, with large round-headed windows in the 1st 3 bays; small vestry with hipped roof attached to 4th bay of north side; louvred cupola with domed roof over 4th bay of south side. Rear: large round-headed window in centre, flanked by pairs of 12-pane sashes on 2 levels. INTERIOR: not accessible at time of inspection, but noted to have Corinthian pilasters with entablature and prominent mutuled cornice, internal apse with giant Corinthian semi-columns and elaborate baldachino, and west gallery on Corinthian columns. Forms group with Walmesley monument in front (qv) and with No.93 (St John's Club (qv)) beside entrance passage. (Little B: Catholic Churches since 1623: London: 1966-; Watkin D: The Buildings of Britain: Regency: London: 1982-).





Listing NGR: SD5848906039

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Watkin, D - Title: The Buildings of Britain, Regency - Date: 1982
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Little, B - Title: Catholic Churches since 1623 - Date: 1966

National Grid Reference: SD 58489 06039

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 07:11:26.