List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRENCHERFIELD MILL

List entry Number: 1384508

Location

TRENCHERFIELD MILL, POTTERY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 484942

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGAN

SD50NE POTTERY ROAD 24-1/2/57 (South side) 14/05/97 Trencherfield Mill

GV II

Cotton spinning mill, now textile workshop, warehouse, museum, offices etc. 1907-8, by Potts, Son and Hennings, for William Woods & Son Ltd.; altered. Iron and steel frame with cladding of red brick in English garden wall bond with dressings of buff terracotta (roof concealed but probably asphalt). Very large main range with tower at north-east corner, engine house attached at right angles near south end of east side with boiler house in south angle of this (and C20 tourist shop attached to north side). Simplified Edwardian Baroque style. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and approximately 15 bays, 2 windows per bay, with brick pilasters, the top floor featured with a sillband, terracotta enrichment to the pilasters, 3-light windows with blocked colonnette mullions, and parapet upstands. Rectangular corner tower with various windows including keyed oculi, and a 3-stage turret with a cornice to the 1st stage, terracotta panels to the 2nd stage lettered "1907" with open pediments above, and a square top stage, banded, with a 3-light window in each side and a steep pyramidal roof. 3-storey 8-window engine house with round-headed windows at 1st floor level and oculi at 2nd floor level, all keyed, in east end a very large lunette with 3 similar oculi above, and hipped roof. INTERIOR: original 1906 4-cylinder triple-expansion tandem steam engine by J & E Woods of Bolton, in working order.





Listing NGR: SD5783105132

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 57831 05132

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 09:59:37.